The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!! Exim -- Mailnull Increased LOAD!!

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by bmcpanel, Jan 30, 2004.

1. bmcpanel

bmcpanel Well-Known Member

One of my Cpanel servers is having a major problem with Exim. The server is receiving thousands of bounced messages in a day and there are dozens of exim processes that are increasing the load average to over 100.00! Needless to say, this is making the server extremely slow.

Temporary Fix: disabled Exim in WHM

I figure that mailnull processes indicates that there are a lot of undelivered messages in the queue that exim is trying to handle. So, I tried to turn exim back on to remove the messages, and the load average goes out of control.

Is there a way to remove the messages in the queue via SSH? I think I tried this in the past (Logged in as root) and got an error saying that the messages could not be removed.

Help. I am out of ideas. Mail servers are not my specialty at all.

2. Daniel

Daniel Well-Known Member

Are you running mailscanner?

3. bmcpanel

No I am not. I am assuming you think I should. I will search the forum for mailscanner.

Since my last post, I am checking logs and I found one user kept receiving bounced messages. I have moved his account and now the load average is below 5.00. I am also able to restart exim and the load average is below 5.00. I am removing the 10,000 plus mail messages from the queue at this time.

Still don't know exactly what has happened or what is happening. Working on it though. If anyone has an idea, let me know please.

4. Daniel

Daniel Well-Known Member

No it's not that I thank you should I just wanted to give you the correct info.

exim -bp | awk '/^ *[0-9]+[mhd]/{print "exim -Mrm " $3}' | sh

Copy and paste that in SSH logged in as root and it will delete the email in queue.

If your having load problems without mail scanner I wouldn't recommend installing it as it will increase the load on the server.

5. bmcpanel

Thanks Daniel. I appreciate the info.

6. bmcpanel

Well, I seem to have gotten things under control, at least for the moment. Logs showed a particular user showing up much, much too often. I backed up his account and then terminated it and the extremely high load average and multiple instances of Exim which drove the load average have gone away. Load is back below 1.00 as before. Will continue to monitor.