help: get rid of certificate warning while entering webmail

SharkSpace

Jul 15, 2009
It sounds like you are using the default unsigned SSL certificates provided by Cpanel. Do you have root access to the server? and a SSL certificate for your domain?

If so install your SSL certificate then under WHM --> Tweak Settings -->
"When visiting /cpanel or /whm or /webmail with SSL, you can choose to redirect to:"
select Origin Domain Name

marquis_ce

Apr 11, 2008
It sounds like you are using the default unsigned SSL certificates provided by Cpanel. Do you have root access to the server? and a SSL certificate for your domain?

If so install your SSL certificate then under WHM --> Tweak Settings -->
"When visiting /cpanel or /whm or /webmail with SSL, you can choose to redirect to:"
select Origin Domain Name
It is already selected Origin Domain Name but it is not my own problem. I have hundred of users and more email users. I cant buy a SSL for every single domain and in this conditions every single email users who tries to login webmail come accross with this warning.

How did you all the people get rid of this problem? In your servers, your clients are not getting this warning?

I want my users directly login their panel without any warning because they thought it is a mistake of me.

SharkSpace

Jul 15, 2009
Then you will need to order a SSL certificate for your hostname (install under the Manage Service SSL Certificates section) then setup the redirect to your hostname instead of the origin domain.

Eric

Nov 25, 2007
Texas
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Howdy,

On my server, I bought a cheapy ssl cert for servername.host.tld and redirect all /cpanel /whm and /webmail traffic to that.

It removes those nagging errors and you can also use it for the mail services to remove those errors as well. Thirty dollars well spent IMHO.

Thanks!

marquis_ce

Apr 11, 2008
Thats exactly what i need. I will buy an SSL and try it now but i wonder while registering which address should i choose?

www.xxx.com or sub.xxx.com

Because i noticed it goes to sub.domainname.com.

Last edited:

marquis_ce

Apr 11, 2008
I ordered a ssl for "servername.domain.com" and then tried to install but it says:

The specified domain is not configured on the system. If you are intending to install a shared certificate you must use the username "nobody" for security and bandwidth reporting reasons.
SSL Install aborted due to error.

Should i order it for the only "www.domain.com" ?

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
Are you installing the certificate under WHM > Manage Service SSL Certificates > cPanel/WHM/Webmail Service > Install new Certificate?

rahulm

Jan 19, 2006
No, it is not possible to install separate service certificate on every domain. You have to use the server hostname for that.

cmwh

Apr 7, 2004
Israel
Trying to figure this out

I have asked at several places and get different answers from vendors.

To get rid of the dreaded red from IE 8,

I Purchase a cheap certificate in the name of the server; ace.domainname.net

I tweak in redirect to hostname and it should work for e-mail logins and cpanel logins for all of the domains I am hosting?

Does the host name have to be a dedicated IP or can it be one of the shared?

Thanks for your help

Paul

cPanelDon

cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
I tweak in redirect to hostname and it should work for e-mail logins and cpanel logins for all of the domains I am hosting?
The redirection applies to all users that login by visiting the URIs /cpanel or /whm or /webmail.

Does the host name have to be a dedicated IP or can it be one of the shared?
If referring to the domain name of the SSL certificate for cPanel/WHM/Webmail then the server hostname may be preferable to use; it is not required to allocate a separate dedicated IP as the SSL certificate applies to all SSL connections to cPanel/WHM/Webmail and not just one domain.

To clarify, here is where the SSL certificate for services may be installed/updated, or reset, such as for the cPanel/WHM/Webmail Service:
WHM: Main >> Service Configuration >> Manage Service SSL Certificates
Documentation: Manage Service SSL Certificates

cmwh

Apr 7, 2004
Israel
Fyi

I went to GoDaddy and bought a $13 certificate in the name of the server and followed the above instructions.

When you install it is for "nobody" and it works great. Got rid of all of the dreaded red across the server.

Thanks for the help

Last edited: