The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! I cant figure anything out!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JanusABM, Jul 22, 2010.

1. JanusABM

JanusABM Registered

SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE ITS BEEN DAYS STRAIGHT NOW AND I CANNOT FIGURE OUT ANYTHING! Okay, so the situation is basically there are all these different options to set up websites the way you want them and need them. I have currently 3 that I am working on. I cannot figure out any of the following:
    1. most importantly, I have spent many hours gathering scripts that i would like to incorporate on my sites, but when I upload them to file manager they never work! Is there some kind of software or trick to adding applications and scripts to your site without alot of headache.
    2. There are some awesome interractive templates offered by cpanel, but I have not idea how to actually take a template and implement it.
    3. Why the hell is there no manual anywhere geared for the cpanel customers that are trying to blindly use these features without knowing what they do!
    Please, any information given must be in the most basic format ever, I am teaching myself everything about this and I dont understand half of what I can actually accomplish.

Sincerely,
    FRUSTRATED

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    There is a manual you might like to check out located here:

cPanel User Guide

Your host is the one who you'd contact when you need more personalized assistance on top of that manual.

I'm not sure anyone here can assist more than that without knowing more of exactly what you're trying to accomplish.

3. JanusABM

JanusABM Registered

Details

Thank you for your reply. I have been thoroughly through the user guide but it is geared for hosting services not site owners. I need references specific to the cpanel tools and options provided to me for use in building a website.
    But the first issue is basically this:

I am trying to add scripts and applications to website that I have downloaded from other sites. So I upload them to the appropriate subdomain folder in my file manager. However when i try to access them they arent working. Ex:
    1. found a form builder script online
    2. downloaded script files to my pc
    3. went into the cpanel file manager and clicked "upload"
    4. uploaded file into the file manager
    5. moved it to /public_html/"subdomain"/"forms"
    6. extracted the files
    7. but when I type in the url to access the script i get the following error message:

Index of /forms
    Parent Directory
    add_category-footer.inc.php
    add_category-header.inc.php
    add_category.php
    add_category_email1.php
    add_category_email2.php
    add_category_variables.php
    readme.txt
    wordpress_content-footer.inc.php
    wordpress_content-header.inc.php
    wordpress_content.php
    wordpress_content_email1.php
    wordpress_content_email2.php
    wordpress_content_variables.php
    Apache mod_fcgid/2.3.5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at janusabm.com Port 80

Sometimes I get other errors, but I dont have an example for every issue.

Does that help?

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Maybe. Every directory should have at least an index.html or index.php these are the default pages the system looks for first. If that's the list of every file in that directory, that's why you're seeing them instead of something else.

For example, open notepad save it as index.html and upload to that same directory. Now try the URL to that sub.domain again. You'll note that you now have no access to it. Your browser called, and your system served that index.html

Why it has neither file, I can't explain. You'd have to ask the script author.

HTH.

5. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

and FYI, Wordpress is one of the scripts that can be installed (if the host has set it up) from within cpanel.

If you're having to do that manually, then there are directions that explain the whole process, such as Installing WordPress « WordPress Codex