The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help installing Memcached

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tim@aaprovideo., Apr 8, 2011.

1. tim@aaprovideo.

tim@aaprovideo. Registered

I have a cpanel server hosted by verio. I have been trying to install memcached. There is a PHP module installer for memcached in WHM. It produces errors when trying to run it. The errors are related to libmemcached being missing. There is no installer for libmemcached. I had verio tech support try and help. They don't support this. I don't know much about shell access or installing PHP modules on the server. I'm sure this is easy for many people, but for me it has turned into two days of going nowhere. I need help on this. Has anyone encountered this issue? Does anyone know of step by step instructions for installing libmemcached on a cpanel server? Better yet, can anyone offer to install this for me?

Thanks in advance for any information that will help!

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. tim@aaprovideo.

Its "memcached" not "memcache". It's confusing, but I need "ed" "memcached".

I have "memcache" already installed.

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The service in that tutorial mentioned memcached:

The discussion after the tutorial also refers to it as memcached. What precisely is the difference here? The service is memcached to run it, while the install files are memcache. Most services end in a -d such as httpd, crond, and so on.

While PHP appears to support two such libraries, the consensus even appears to note that memcache is the better solution and both perform the same function:

http://serverfault.com/questions/63383/memcache-vs-memcached

As such, why precisely do you require both memcache (that apparently works) and memcached when both do the same function?

5. tim@aaprovideo.

Thanks for the response. Simply, memcached is needed to support a Drupal module I'm trying to install called ad_memcache. It specifically needs memcached. Which brings me back to the original question. Memcached first requires libmemcached. Does anyone know how to get libmemcached installed?