The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help moving account to new server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RedactUK, Mar 14, 2011.

1. RedactUK

RedactUK Member

Hey guys

I currently have a Reseseller account on a shared server with other resellers. All my accounts are very low volume apart from one that is now using up about 80% of my allocated reseller account server resources, so I've opted to move that account to their own dedicated server (well virtual server in fact via cloud setup). I have my own nameservers on the existing shared server, but as it's just one account I opted not to get an extra IP address to setup new nameservers on the new server. Now I'm fine with handing the account copy process, and updating the DNS records on the old server to point to the new one, but i'm unclear about this:

What happens to the account on the old server? Presumably I can't delete it as that will the nameserver entries that are handing the DNS redirection? do I have have to park the domain in question against another account on the old server, THEN I can delete the old account?

Any help appreciated

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can choose to keep the DNS entries on account termination, because this option exists in WHM > Terminate an Account area:

If you select to keep the DNS zone entries, then you can still remove the account once it is working at the new location.

3. RedactUK

RedactUK Member

Excellent! many thanks :)