The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help moving accounts but using the same dns

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by swany, Dec 29, 2011.

1. swany

swany Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I've recently had to get another server to split the load off one of my servers.

The domains all use the same dns. ns1 and 2 point to the first server and ns3 and 4 point to the second server.

i've used cpanel to move the domains from the old server to the new and told it to point to the new servers.

It has been 3-4 days since i did that and i'm pretty sure nameservers throughout the world are now pointing to the new ip on the new server so in theory i can delete the account from the old server.

I'm wondering if i delete the account from the old server will it do anything to the new server and the site on the new server?

I don't want it to change/delete any dns info (ns1 aka the old server is the master of ns3 the new server in a cluster)

is it safe to go ahead and remove them? or should i just delete the directories?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can select the following option when terminating the account:

"Keep Dns Zone"

This is useful in cases such as yours when you have moved a domain between servers in the same dns trust relationship, and wish to remove the old domain.

Thank you.

3. swany

swany Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    great thats just what i'm looking for