The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help moving my site to new dedicated server.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anthony C, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Anthony C

Anthony C Registered

Our host recently forced us to upgrade from a VPS to a dedicated server. And I am trying to move our site over to the new server. I am new to dedicated servers and using SSH.

Our host moved the files from our VPS to a temp folder on the dedicated server. I already created a new account in the WHM with the same username and pass as our old VPS.

So right now all the files in /temp/ and I need to move them to the correct directory, I'm guessing /home/newsite. What is the best way to go about doing this. Everything I have read online talked about the files being zipped, but mine are just in the /temp directory uncompressed.

Thank You

2. Indianets

Indianets Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Ask your host to generate a full backup (cpmove file) from your VPS and move that to your Dedicated server. You can restore the cpmove file easily from WHM on dedicated server. You may need ssh to just copy the file which is simple.

If your host denies, it's time to look for a new host along with a new server, seriously :D

- Vijay

3. usman43

usman43 Member

You can create full cPanel backup of your account by your self. Login to cPanel and from cPanel > Files > backups , do the full cPanel backup. Move it to your dedicated server. Since you have already created the account on your dedicated server you would have to use 'force' restore option while restoring the backup from console.

# /scripts/restorepkg --force /path/to/cpanel_backup_file.tar.gz

That is the simplest way to do account migration and a recommended one.

For manual move.
    1- All web content goes to /home/USER/public_html folder.
    2- You would have to recreate the data base and restore the database dumps either from phpmyadmin or from console at /var/lib/mysql
    3- Email account data is in /home/USER/mail/DOMAIN.COM so you have to move this folder from your vps to dedicated server along with /home/USER/etc/DOMAIN.COM folder

Even after all this you would have to recreate , email forwarders , cron jobs , cPanel package and would have to reinstall SSL (if your account had SSL on your VPS).

Go for full cpanel backup option.