The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! My server is not working like it should!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mammut, Jul 16, 2004.

1. mammut

mammut Member

I did get my new server the other day, I have started to build my pages and install my scripts.
    Everything was working fine but when I did visit my site yesterday, I see this:
    [​IMG]

And I could not login to WHM, SSH, FTP or Cpanel.
    So I mailed my host, they replyed and said that everything was looking fine at their side, I checked my page and it was normal again I could login to everything.

Today I was working on some page, and I was inside the FTP and chmoded some files and suddenly I get disconnected without any reason.
    So I tried to reconnect to the FTP but I could not login, and when I tried to visit my website again I got the same Cpanel screen as yesterday, and I could not login to anything.
    But after 3 minutes everything was fine again, everything was working.

I dont think my server have been hacked because the support did say that everything was loking fine in the logs and I have not launched my sites yet, so I was the only one on the server.

I cant have it like this, I dont want to move my pages to a server that is not working like it should. Can anyone please help me and tell me what to do? :(

2. zentity

zentity Well-Known Member

It sounds like you have dns trouble maybe - how were you accessing the server, via URL or IP address? Try accessing via IP if you can't login using the URL.

I would check your dns and network setup - If you have only just registered name servers or something like that, you may have propagation issues.

Hope that helps.

3. mammut

mammut Member

Thanks for your reply.
    I changed nameservers for about 2 days ago so I think they should work.
    However, the domain I use for nameservers is setup like this inside Godaddy:

Domain Host Summary:
    NS1.*****.COM --> 69.93.245.***
    NS2.*****.COM --> 69.93.245.***

Nameservers Summary:
    NS1.OLD-SERVER.COM
    NS2.OLD-SERVER.COM

So I still use the same domain for a site located on my old server, and use it as nameserver-domain for my new server at the same time, can this be the problem?

4. mammut

mammut Member

It just happend again, I tried to login to WHM via the IP but it didnt work, everything was back to normal efter 1 minute....

5. myrem

myrem Well-Known Member

Go here: www.dnsreport.com

And see what it has to say about your site.

6. mammut

mammut Member

Thanks, here is the result. Do you think it have something to do with the NS and SOA errors?

Category NS:
    WARNING: All of your nameservers (listed at the parent nameservers) are in the same Class C (technically, /24) address space, which means that they are probably at the same physical location. Your nameservers should be at geographically dispersed locations. You should not have all of your nameservers at the same location. RFC2182 3.1 goes into more detail about secondary nameserver location.

Category SOA:
    WARNING: Your SOA REFRESH interval is : 14400 seconds. This seems a bit high. You should consider decreasing this value to about 3600-7200 seconds. RFC1912 2.2 recommends a value between 1200 to 43200 seconds (20 minutes to 12 hours, with the longer time periods used for very slow Internet connections; 12 hours seems very high to us), although some registrars may limit you to 10000 seconds or higher, and if you are using DNS NOTIFY the refresh value is not as important (RIPE recommends 86400 seconds if using DNS NOTIFY). This value determines how often secondary/slave nameservers check with the master for updates. A value that is too high will cause DNS changes to be in limbo for a long time.

WARNING: Your SOA EXPIRE time is : 3600000 seconds. This seems a bit high. You should consider decreasing this value to about 1209600 to 2419200 seconds (2 to 4 weeks). RFC1912 recommends 2-4 weeks. This is how long a secondary/slave nameserver will wait before considering its DNS data stale if it can't reach the primary nameserver.

Category MX:
    WARNING: You only have 1 MX record. If your primary mail server is down or unreachable, there is a chance that mail may have troubles reaching you.

Category Mail:
    ERROR: I could not complete a connection to any of your mailservers!

MYDOMAIN.net: Timed out [Last data sent: None]

If this is a timeout problem, note that the DNS report only waits about 30 seconds for responses, so your mail may work fine in this case but you will need to use testing tools specifically designed for such situations.

7. myrem

myrem Well-Known Member

Nope... all those 'errors' are common and just 'warnings'. Hmm.. I'm stumped.

The 'disconnects' are the odd thing. Those sound like a network issues... either your internet connection is dropping, these is an internet routing problem, or a problem with your ISPs internal network.

8. mammut

mammut Member

Hmm, ok, I dont think its my ISP, because I get a htaccess login when I tried to access WHM but I could not login with my username and pass, and I get that Cpanel-site instead of my sites. :(

9. blaze313

blaze313 Registered

man i get the same error massage but i cant log in at all

10. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

ahhhhh yes!

I suggest only using 1 domain on 1 server unless your using it as your hostname ex. ferrari.domain.com porshe.domain.com etc etc. If you have multiple servers and are keeping them .. id activate DNS Clustering to handle your DNS. Then DNS will propagate between both servers. You obviously currently have major configuration problems.