Janey

Registered
Sep 3, 2021
Bloomington, Indiana
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I am a total novice and don't know the lingo of web management. We had a successful genealogy site for 20 years. Our person who paid for the domain name 3 years at a time passed away shortly after making a payment in 2017. So in 2020 and no one could get in it took us a while to understand what happened. I tried to get get the company to let me take it over being one of the 4 originators of the site but they would not let me. So, I have purchased a new domain name from the company who hosts the site. In the meantime that company has been sold/taken over by another by another company who could care less less about the web hosting company and their support is TERRIBLE. I just need need to get the site pointed to the new domain name so people cane once again use the site. I cannot seem to change to root file to the new one and read somewhere on here that the company has to do that. Someone PLEASE help me, we are losing so much time...

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! Unfortunately, I don't believe there will be any good news on this issue. You are correct that the hosting provider needs to be the one to change the domain name that is associated with your account. If they aren't providing assistance, there are two possible options I can think of:

-take a full backup of the account created through cPanel to another host
or
-use the Alias tool in cPanel to create an alias for your new domain. That will allow two domain names to point to the same content.

I'm sorry I don't have better options for this issue, but all that is controlled by the hosting provider.

Janey

Registered
Sep 3, 2021
Bloomington, Indiana
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hey there! Unfortunately, I don't believe there will be any good news on this issue. You are correct that the hosting provider needs to be the one to change the domain name that is associated with your account. If they aren't providing assistance, there are two possible options I can think of:

-take a full backup of the account created through cPanel to another host
or
-use the Alias tool in cPanel to create an alias for your new domain. That will allow two domain names to point to the same content.

I'm sorry I don't have better options for this issue, but all that is controlled by the hosting provider.
Thank you so much! At least now I have something intelligent to take back to the provider. We just paid for another year with the current provider the latter part of August. I'm 75 and you know the old saying about old dogs and new tricks...