The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help: One Domain for WHN/cPanel and Fix WHM/cPanel and DNSONLY Clustered Nameservers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by ChrisLM2001, Jul 5, 2014.

1. ChrisLM2001

ChrisLM2001 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is what I want to do:

First:
    A. One domain to share the WHM and cPanel (same hostname and domain) with 1 dedicated IP.

Second:
    B. Get 2 private name servers with 4 IPv4s and rDNS to resolve and pass the DNS tests.

Third:

C. Make the primary server the master (authoritative) nameserver.

Fourth:

D. Make the secondary server the slave (caching) nameserver.

What I've Done

Name servers are registered at the Register and the DNS tools reports all 4 NS records and rDNS as registered.

Followed the installation guides here.

Fresh installed WHM/cPanel on the primary server, and WHM DNSONLY on the secondary server.

Began trying to tweak the security and DNS settings.

Created 1 cPanel account as the main site and all.

Installed the SSL cert on the cPanel account.

Problems I'm facing:

1. Hostname is assigned to WHM, not WHM and cPanel on 1 dedicated IP (both have the same domain name so can be shared).

2. cPanel shows it's IP is correct, unless I use dig, and it shows a different last octet (not 100, but 104). So somewhere between the 2 servers and syncing the records, they're not synced no matter how forced. 100 octet is registered as the domain's IP, as listed as such by the web host, and the SSL is assigned to it.

3. Changed the zone file TTLs to 10 to 30 minutes to push the DNS changes, even.

When I first opened the DNS files to add more zones, discovered they are really messed up -- as the complete nameserver names propagated in every "domain.com" field (I'm using descriptive nameserver names for branding purposes) -- from the default install (I didn't touch any BIND file, fresh install).

Tried to manually edit the zone files in /var/named. Would not work if loaded in the DNS zone editor in WHM (out of zone errors to claiming A entries doesn't exist. I clicked A entries for all the IPs.

Ran the DNS rebuild script (since it was messed up), and nothing really changed, same db entries. :confused:

Can someone help me resolve this DNS nameserver mess?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Could you elaborate on this, or provide a specific example so we can have a better understanding of this question?

Is this for your hostname, or a specific domain name?

Could you provide an example or attach screenshots?

Thank you.