The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP Pease - Server Move failure

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Snowman30, May 1, 2003.

1. Snowman30

Snowman30 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Im having trouble moving an account from one CPanel server to another in another datacentre.

I have root access for both servers and both are running the latest R versions of WHM and CPanel.

I cant seem to get the account to move via the root move function as it times out after about 10 minutes.

If i try to move the account using the copy with password function i get the following error:

any ideas on this one?

passwords and the username are correct.

The site is about 3Gb so perhaps thats the cause.. anyone have any ideas?

any help or advice would be appreciated.

TIA

2. CodyFrisch

CodyFrisch Active Member

I think this is a known bug.

If you take the most recent daily backup file on the old server, or wait until the backup has just run...

Copy that backup file over to the new server and restore it. (copy to your daily backup directory) These backup files are practically (if not entirely) identical to the package that the site transfer script makes.

scp root@otherserver:/backup/cpbackup/daily/account.tar.gz /backup/cpbackup

Though 3GB may be too big for scp to copy either, but then you're copying a compressed file, so its probably only about 1.5GB or less.

Additionally if the servers use ext2 or ext3 (maybe reiserfs too?) and the file is over 2GB you may have problems, I'm not sure what the status of large file support is on these file systems. Last I heard 2GB was still the limit. (hence the reason I use the XFS file system)

3. gertiebeth

gertiebeth Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My problem too, but now a NEW problem:

I am trying to move a domain from one cpanel box to another. The site is 30 gigs in size and the backup file is 13 gigs. I am not able to do it via the WHM (probably because of size, according to the cPanel forums) so I backed it up via the cPanel CP and then moved it to a public directory. Now I am trying to wget it on the new server but I am getting 403 FORBIDDEN errors. I am assuming this is a size limit problem? I can wget other files to the new server, but they are much smaller. Is there a way to configure wget to accept large files? Or should I edit php.ini to accept 13+ gigs?

I'm at a stand still here... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

4. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I dont think that 403 forbidden errors have anythiing to do with file sizes, it is usually becuase of permissions of some sort. Usernames or passwords . . .

Unless you are talking about moving files. Then you will get a 403 error if they are way to big. I had troubles moving anything that was over 400 megs, and I have several people who are using close to a gig or more, so If I ever have to move servers, they are gunna in sorry shape.

#4 B12Org, Oct 7, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2004
  5. JoshPet

JoshPet Member

I had the same problem with a large site. Got 403 errors, even though the permissions were fine.

Repeatedly if the site was small it would work, if it was big I coulnd't FTP or wget it. Finally had to move stuff out of the site, so that it was smaller, so that I could move it in pieces to the other server.

For future, I'd love to know how to move huge files using wget. :)

6. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    ftp may be the best method.

7. hostit1

hostit1 Well-Known Member

This site you moved over . . . was it a FrontPage site? You may have to remove frontpage extensions, then re-add them.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Tim Rice
    Host It Now Networks

8. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    or you can always have them try making a full backup, moving the account over, and then having them restore a bacckup. That would kind of be an intrusive last step I know, but if nothing else works . . .

9. machine

machine Member

Contrary to what people have told you the 403 error IS because the file is too large. When apache tries to serve a file over 2Gb it WILL produce a 403 error - taken from the Apache site at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html - '...If the client request exceeds that limit, the server will return an error response instead of servicing the request....'

It seems to me that a lot of the problem with this forum is people blindly asserting their opinions as fact without first checking into it. Consequently we have millions of open threads with a plethora of incorrect answers and no conclusion. I come here as a last resort now generally as I see questions asked but none answered.

Having said that here are a couple of suggestions for this problem.
    Either you can add LimitRequestBody 0 to your httpd.conf file which tells apache to serve files of any size or you can break the file up into smaller pieces using 'split' and then 'cat' them back together at the other end.

10. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    First, exactly what you stated about the problem earlier has already been said, and is already widely known, so thanks for telling us something that we obviously already know and have already posted on.

second, what you said to do, "Limit Request Body = 0", is already the default, so thanks for telling them to change something that is already set that way. And since they are having that problem already, I doubt that that actually helps or changes anything for them.

Next, Thanks for your opinion about this forum. It doesnt matter what you think about it. If you dont get anything from this forum, and dont get any help from this, then dont come here. This forum is for people to tell others what they did when they had the same problem. There are always 5 ways to fix a problem, and most of them work.

Dont judge someone else or think they are not doing it correctly just because they used a different approach to solve the problem.

People like you are what makes this forum crapy.