The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Please! (take II)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JagaTelesin, Aug 19, 2004.

1. JagaTelesin

JagaTelesin Member

I'll try this again - first thread didn't get even one read... the community out here does try to help people, right?
    =========================================================

Hoping someone can take time to answer this, I'm about ready to pull my hair out - all of what's left anyhow.

Quick synopsis of what I have for a hosting solution:
    - Managed.com $60/mo server, dedicated to only 1 site.
    - Site is PHP-Nuke, highly optimized with on-the-fly compression.
    - Server runs Redhat, with stable cPanel software versions.

Description of what I see when browsing the site:
    - Page load times that used to be 0.25s on a shared server, are now 1.0s or higher.

What I've tried to do to fix the problem:
    - Tweak the my.cnf file for SQL.
    - Install both Zend Optimizer, and/or Turck MMCache.
    - Turn off services on the server that weren't needed.
    - Verify, re-verify, and re-re-verify DNS entries were all correct on the name server (separate box).

I simply don't understand how a P4 2.4ghz Celeron system, with 512mb of memory, can take over a full second to run 80 SQL queries and generate what amounts to a normal HTML page. As I said above, it used to take 0.25 seconds on an old iPowerWeb shared hosting box (unknown specs). Is it conceivable that Managed.com's network or servers are simply that crappy? Or is it possible that I've somehow misconfigured the server? A friend's box at Managed.com ($90/mo type) runs a similar website, with 0.25s page generations, so mine should too - unless there's THAT big a difference between a P4 2.4ghz Celeron and a P4 2.8ghz.

I'm about ready to hire someone savvy with these things to "fix" the server for me - the site's been dead nearly a month because of the slow pages. Any suggestions from the folks out here first?

--= J

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

A few things:

1. This is a forum where people give their time freely to help, so you cannot expect help. If you want that, log a support request with cPanel.

2. Are you also suffering high server loads? If so, there may be an issue on server.

3. If you're not suffering high server loads, then it's almost definitely network related. You say you have DNS configured, do you have rDNS setup for your IP addresses too? If so, then it sounds to me like you're suffering from poor network connections or a fault NIC, which wouldn't surprise me.

3. JagaTelesin

JagaTelesin Member

1) Yep, I fully knew this is a support community. But not receiving even a read on my first thread kinda surprised me - like I had to title the thread right to get anyone to read it. That's typically an indication of a stagnant or disinterrested community. Glad you responded though.

2) Typical server load is between 0.0% and 0.3%. Basically there's no one on the server right now, at all.

3) All my nameserver entries are handled by Managed.com's nameserver service group. I specify what subdomains I need, they setup the rest. I suppose I could ask them if reverse lookups are an issue with how the domain is setup - I'm out of other types of ideas.

Even a 2.4ghz Celeron should be able to handle hundreds, if not thousands of small SQL queries per second, if my estimation is right. So I'm going to guess your assumption about the network layer being the issue (or something talking to the layer like a driver) is probably correct. Managed.com is already looking over the server, and the my.cnf file, and hasn't found anything to report.

If I can't resolve it, I'll need to find a new dedicated hosting solution. =/

--= J

4. JagaTelesin

JagaTelesin Member

Small update from Managed.com: there is no rDNS entry for my domain or any subdomains on it. I wasn't aware I needed reverse to perform standard HTML delivery. If that's not the case please let me know, I could have them added.

Managed.com doesn't seem to think it's a NIC issue or network issue, no one else on that network segment has complained at all. They think 200 queries (and they're small ones) in one second is "quite a few".

I'm beginning to think I need to start shopping around for a new dedicated hosting solution. Sure a bigger box at Managed might fix the problem, but their tech support to date has been shoddy at best.

--= J

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

They seem to get very mixed reviews over at WHT (one extreme to another). My personall preferences are for ServerMatrix/ThePlanet or EV1 if you're comfortable with server management. Unfortunately, with these cheap providers, you tend to be on your own a lot of the time :(

rDNS certainly shouldn't be a major problem (that can often slow down mail or ftp servers), but it ought to always be setup for any IP addresses that you have. It doesn't have to be to your domain names, but it they should at east resolve. Since you're not getting high load (and I'm guessing you're not getting high iowait in top either) then it doesn't seem to point to a server issue.

6. zentity

zentity Well-Known Member

What does the following reveal?

/sbin/hdparm -t -T /dev/hda

It may be that dma isn't enabled,

Give that a try and lets see the results, try also

/sbin/hdparm -d1

then

/sbin/hdparm -t -T /dev/hda

Once more, see if the second figure gets any lower.

Probably unlikely, since the loads are low, but worth looking into.

#6 zentity, Aug 21, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2004
  7. JagaTelesin

JagaTelesin Member

First result:

root@host [~]# /sbin/hdparm -t -T /dev/hda
    /dev/hda:
    Timing buffer-cache reads: 1436 MB in 2.00 seconds = 718.00 MB/sec
    Timing buffered disk reads: 128 MB in 3.04 seconds = 42.11 MB/sec

Running hdparm with -d, -d1 or -d 1 simply returns a list of options, doesn't seem like the command syntax or device is going in right. But the results from the first test seem to be rather high from what I can tell.