The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help pls: slow WHM/kernel/cpu or what ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ayik, Jan 26, 2005.

1. ayik

ayik Member

Oct 7, 2004
    My server is running in the most slowest ever these 3 days. Most process get on top of "top" especially those which require access to cpanel account database (plaintext or what?)

[root@centaur hartono]# time /scripts/ftpupdate
    Ftp Password Files synced
    Vhost Passwords synced

real 4m53.390s <-- usually much less than this
    user 4m17.342s
    sys 0m5.544s

4:53 minutes is fast because now is night time (few users), at day time, ftpupdate/mkvhostpasswd can exists 6 minutes in the top process

at 1st day, i saw there is total 40000 lines when i exec cat /etc/proftpd/* | wc -l and many of them are identical lines. so i removed them by using array_unique() from PHP. the result is now only about 10000 lines. But it did not fix the problem.

When i log in into user cpanel (using xfercpanel), there is a top process called "cpanel", ate 95% CPU and when i'm viewing the source of blank unfinished cpanel index page in the web browser, the html code stopped in ...manage another account: .... <-- here should be the drop down list of user.

So, i conclude, that my WHM/Cpanel is so strange. especially when processing user/accounting.

One more, when the httpd started, it took about 5 minutes, and ate 90% of CPU too (running state)

My total user is 1001 now. it was 1014 then i termintae unused 13 unused account. What confused me is that 4 days ago, it is running smoothly with 1000 account too.

Is this kernel issue?
    My kernel is: Linux 2.6.10-1.9_FC2smp #1 SMP Thu Jan 13 18:15:45 EST 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux.

CPU is: Dual PIV (dont know HT or not HT) 2.8 GHz, 1GB RAM, 2x80 IDE HDD.

WHM: WHM 10.0.0 cPanel 10.0.0-R7
    Fedora i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

I am sorry i posted the same problem yesterday, i just feel desperate that the problem persist for 3 days, i dont know what to do tomorrow. i have read many posting too, i tried almost everything, but hasn't succeded yet