The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! Reseller Settings in WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by visitor, May 27, 2005.

1. visitor

visitor Registered

Hi,

I am quite new to the admin side of WHM. I've come across from Plesk and am really impressed :D , but there just a few things I am hoping someone might be able to help with :confused: .

1. I have setup a reseller account through WHM, when my reseller creates a new account, it shows a list of server IP addresses in the assign IP box on the Create a New Account" form. I only want resellers to be able to use the main server IP for accounts. How do I set this up, and stop the others from being displayed.

2. I only want resellers to be able to setup new accounts that use a package. I am happy for them to create their own packages, but when I try and set this up in WHM it seems that I have to approve the packages first. I want them to be able to create their own packages and use them straight away, I just don't want them creating accounts add-hoc without a package.

I think thats it for now. I would be most grateful for any assistance. Please try and be as explicit as possible with the instructions as I am quite new to this, any help would be appreciated.

P.S. Anyone who wants to earn a few extra $/£ that is an expert, please feel free to contact me. I am looking for someone who can check all my setting and make recommendations only. :D

Thanks

Andrew

2. Otrell

Otrell Member

Welcome to cPanel...

Andrew,

IMHO, two things will really help you be successful in using cPanel as your control panel.

First is extensively using the search features within the forums. Sometimes the veterans here don't like to answer questions they feel you have not fully researched first on your own. The cPanel community is a very powerful tool, and the forum search capability is something I am sure will become your best friend.

Second is the WebHost Manager User Manual. I suggest reading through the entire manual at least three or four times. It proves to be very helpful when getting started and gives you an idea as to what everything does.

Here is the link to that.
    http://www.cpanel.net/docs/whm/

To answer your questions:

In WebHost Manager the "Reseller Center" link is where the reseller configuration options are stored. Click on that.
    Resellers >> Reseller Ceneter

You will then have three drop down options, go to the one that is labeled Select a Reseller, click the drop down, pick the reseller who you want to edit, then click the icon labeled Edit Privileges/Nameservers.

Under the Feature Limits section, go down to the section labeled Privileges and uncheck Allow Creation of Packages with a Dedicated IP, you may also want to note there are other options with the following warning: warning: this will allow circumvention of..., you may not want to allow any of those to be checked. Review each individually. Then click save on the bottom, this will force reseller to use only the main server IP for account creation.

Again in WebHost Manager click on the "Reseller Center" link.
    Resellers >> Reseller Ceneter

You will then have three drop down options, go to the one that is labeled Select a Reseller, click the drop down, pick the reseller who you want to edit, then click the icon labeled Edit Privileges/Nameservers.

At the top of the page there are a few options.

The one you are looking for is labeled Limit account creation to pre-assigned packages (all new reseller created packages must be approved in this interface before they can be used by the reseller.) Make sure this is not checked. What this means is limit the user to packages I approve of first. And the user cannot use the package unless I approve it.

Next in the Feature Manager section...

Based on what you want to do, make sure these options are checked, and make sure the others are not:

In the sub section Account Management,

Account Creation
    Account Suspension
    Account Termination
    Account Upgrades
    Password Modification

Then in the Packages sub section, make sure the following are checked:

Add/Remove
    Edit

Then in the Privileges sub section, make sure the following are checked:

Disallow creation of accounts with packages that are not global or not owned by this user
    Never allow creation of accounts with shell access

I would suggest not checking any other options unless you know that you want to offer them, and understand the possible consequences.

Click Save

With a configuration such as this, users will not be able to create new accounts "add-hoc", they will be forced in the "Create a New Account" link to select a package from the drop down menu, if they do not do this, they will receive an error in the account creation process, the error will look as follows:

Code:
    WWWAcct 9.2 (c) 1997-2004 cPanel, Inc.

Unable to find an ip address   

Account Creation Complete!!!
    This means the account has not be created. There will also be a blinking red "!" on the right hand side of the window. Unless the user selects a package he will not be able to create an account. When he does he will be able to create accounts without any problems.

Additionally, users will not be able to modify accounts allowing certain accounts to have a non-package specific allotment of resources. The user will only be able to see the packages he made, and not the packages from other resellers or the root account. If a user needs to be upgraded, the reseller will have the ability to upgrade the account to a different package.

I will assume you already know how to limit accounts by resource usage, and will be able to do that inside of Account Creation Limits sub section.
    Resellers >> Reseller Ceneter >> Edit Privileges/Nameservers >> Account Creation Limits

I hope this is helpful to you, and once again welcome to the cPanel community!