The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help restoring backups after hard drive crash

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by bbunlock, Mar 22, 2016.

1. bbunlock

bbunlock Member

Hi everyone, first thanks for taking the time to look and hopefully help.

Ok my problem is this, the main boot drive on my server failed, it has been replaced and an os and cpanel installed (CENTOS 6.7 x86_64 standard – 9 WHM 54.0 (build 20)) this is a later version of centos and cpanel that I had on the original drive.

I have also had my second original drive added to the server as this drive held my backups and thankfully my mysql, so I have everything I need to get the sites back but im struggling, I cant get WHM to recognise the backups?

these are the daily backups that WHM did and they are probably legacy backups as they are in backup/cpbackup/daily however for the most part they are upto date, there is problems with some of the mysql databases being empty.

the backups are mounted at /mnt/backup/cpbackup/daily/*useraccounts* how do I get to restore them? I have tried copying one of the backups to the new backup folder, I even created the dir structure the same so backup/cpbackup/daily/*account* but when I goto restore from WHM it does not show any username/backup.

Is this because the server os is new and has no accounts on it? that seems kinda silly though as my situation must be quite a common reason for people needing to restore to a new server/drive.

Can someone give me some help on this, please feel free to ask for any info you may need, please provide the steps needed to get this information, such as where I can find it in WHM or the command to type via shh.

Thank you in advance.

Wayne

ps the backups that WHM creates are not compressed.

Kind regards

Wayne

#1 bbunlock, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2016
  2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I think you have not enable backup on your new server. Please login your new server and enable backup with restore only and incremental options.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

To confirm, did you have incremental backups enabled using the legacy backup system? If so, you must enable "Incremental Backups" via:

"WHM Home » Backup » Legacy Backup Configuration"

This will allow Web Host Manager to detect the backups when using the "Legacy Restore Multiple Backups" feature.

Thank you.