The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help setting up DNS on multiple Servers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by mydomain, Apr 11, 2004.

1. mydomain

mydomain Well-Known Member

Help setting up DNS Clustering on multiple Servers

Hi,

Please can someone advise how I can improve or get DNS working properly for multiple cPanel servers.

Currently I have 2 cPanel servers. On the first server (server1) I have set up ns1 and ns2.mydomain.com and all accounts use these as their domain nameservers.

I bought a second server (server2) and set that up with ns3 and ns4.mydomain.com and started to register new accounts on this server using these nameservers.

I have added ns3 and ns4 A records to the zone file on server 1 and created the child nameserver records ns3 and ns4.

I hope this will work ok however I would like advice on whether this is ok or if It would be better for me to use the DNS clustering feature in WHM/cPanel. Could we use the clustering feature without affecting existing accounts on server1, how would we set it up correctly - just not sure how its done with multiple server setup.

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated and respected.

TIA

Mike

#1 mydomain, Apr 11, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  2. mydomain

Hello, can someone help on this, TIA.

3. mydomain

Someone Please !!

Seem to have hit a wall of silence here - can anyone please help us with this?

TIA

4. Optical

Optical Well-Known Member

Hey, i belive cpanel has this option, im not sure bud

5. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Server one goto cluster setup and enable, enter the ip of your secondary server. It will ask for the remote accesss key which you will gernerate on the second server. Then goto the second server and do the same.

It will sycronize the records with whichever is the newest and whenever a change is made on one the other will be updated. I have run it on two servers that had different accounts already created and it worked fine :)

6. Optical

cool :), What about data ? will my accounts files move over also?

7. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Nooo that is only to mirror dns, it willl just keep both dns servers showing the exact same thing. Idealy you setup

ns1/ns3 on server one
    ns2/ns4 on server two

that way if one is down server two immediatly gets looked at. Of course if the sites are on box one it does not do much but hey dns is sitll working :)

Cpanel does not have anything to mirror accounts and provide a sort of round robin dns that sounds like you are talking about.

8. Optical

bah, that sucks !, i thought it did lol, but a dns backup is nice

9. mydomain

What do you do when you get a third server if you are using ns1/ns3 on server one and ns2/ns4 on server two ? What is the naming convention or best way to name the nameservers on multiple machines.

10. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would assign ns1/ns2/ns3/ns4 to all seperate servers in an idea situation. Really much more then 4 nameservers is overkill for most situations. Basically you want to have the lower numbers all on seperate servers so if some box fails the others will be used quicker.

11. mydomain

ok thats good - so I can use server1 as ns1/ns3 and server2 as ns2/ns4 and then all accounts on all servers I purchase in the future can use ns1/2/3/4 as their nameservers?

What is the best way to change from my current setup to use clustering without affecting site uptimes - should I start to change the IP's of ns4 and ns2 first and then when they start resolving change ns1 and ns3? Also at which point should I enable the clustering?

12. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As long as all of the servers have the same dns information you can play around with the IPs all you want and nothing will go down.

13. mydomain

ok. well I have set up server one nameservers to ns1 and ns3 and server2 nameservers ns2 and ns4. Then on each I set new accounts to use the nameservers ns1 and ns2 - i guess it doesnt really start to become useful until I get server three hosting accounts and using ns1 and ns2 - then if one server goes down the site will still resolve right?

Am in right here, please correct if wrong.

14. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Correct, though if you host just dns for some people then it becomes useful. I sometimes register domains and then host dns for customers, then there is a gain from it.

15. mydomain

aha - yes good point, we can utilise for that purpose also - thanks for the feedback.