The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! sql backup didn't work!

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by robertliu84, May 30, 2006.

1. robertliu84

robertliu84 Registered

Hi everyone. I was wondering if you could help.

I've just switched web hosts, and before I did, I did a "Full Backup" from cpanel and also downloaded the individual SQL DB Backups. My problem is, my main database doesn't seem to have backed up and I've only realised this after my host has changed.

I've contacted my previous host to see if they can dig up one of their backup's, but it either seems I'm no longer one of their customers - or 24/7 email support is more like - 9-5...

Anyway, all I got in my sql backup of my main database was this:
    That's it. No tables :( or anything. The filesize is only 675bytes, but previously on my cpanel, it showed somewhere around 12MB for SQL disk usage.:(

I also had a subdomain also running mambo CMS and I did the exact same technique for backup (i.e. via cpanel). For that one, when I load it, there is definitely data and tables so seems to have worked on that one.

So how can I get my original database back (r******_mambo)? I searched through the "Full Backup" but only found the same thing. Does anyone know where the mysql databases are stored in the Full Backup?

I fear my only hope lies in my ex-host. If they won't help then I've lost over 2 years of material - never occured to me to check my backup was backed up and working! I did have another backup from 2 months ago, but has the same problem also! I should have been suspicious just on the filesize alone... :eek: help!

2. Ishware

Ishware Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm here searching for an answer to my own problems, so I only skimmed your post, please forgive me if my reply isn't very helpful... :)

If it would help you, I can create an account for you on my secondary server so you could restore the backup and grab the data you need...

If you'd like to try that, let me know - best email addy would be:

support (at) nullusanxietas (dot) net

Remind me that you're the dude I replied to on the cPanel forum that could use some temporary space for a couple of weeks or something... :)

HTH, apologies if not :)

(If the problem is that the data you need is definitely missing from all the backups you have-- well, the only one that could help is the previous host, of course... But I wasn't quite sure from the way you were saying things - sounded like it might be embeded in one of the backups, and you weren't sure how to pull it out from it - thus my offer of temporary space for you to restore to and grab what you need)

3. robertliu84

robertliu84 Registered

Thanks...I guess that's an idea I could try with my new host? Although the full backup is 600MB...I might have to remove the pictures from it just to speed up the process.

But yeah, I couldn't find the original data, so am just hoping that maybe there was a secret folder in the Full Backup file :rolleyes: and still no word from my previous host :(

4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

If you have the full backup and it's a full backup generated by WHM (quite likely) then just take a peek inside for the MySQL .sql files:

archive.tar.gz/yourusername/mysql

5. robertliu84

robertliu84 Registered

Strange...looked there and just that more or less empty sql file. But my other databases are there intact!

My previous host finally replied too...but....their backup system unfortunately overwrote just now, the 24 hour backup, and also the weekly backup. They said they found a backup from January...so I'm taking that to minimize data loss!

I'm sure I could have retrieved the previous days backup if my host was infact 24/7 email support as they claim on their website. I emailed them immediately after my problem, but that was already past office hours and they only replied just now when it's too late....I guess this is the wrong place to complain about that.

Thanks for your help guys. Anyone know why my main database hasn't backed up properly using cPanel's supposedly "backup" function????

Luckily for me, there's no financial loss, just personal and sentimental stuff really. Gonna make sure I keep backups on my computer in the future....that'll be a lesson learned.

6. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Looks like you're out of luck there, which is a shame.

Concerning databases only, you might want to use the dumping features from within phpMyAdmin to grab a copy of the database content every now and then and store it locally for backup purposes. You can always re-install any web app, such as phpbb, as this would be a pretty standard thing, however your data is unqiue and therefore you'd do well by keeping a backup of it.

Understandably, keeping such backups rarely seem that important until you need them!

7. Arsalan

Arsalan Well-Known Member

We had a similar issue, simply fixed the database via WHM and the backups started working, so did the pkg account utilities which are used to move accounts accross servers..