Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Help tracking down a Spammer....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mydomain, Aug 27, 2004.

1. mydomain

mydomain Well-Known Member

Hi,

Our email volume according to mrtg has increased from 10,000 mails per week to 40,000 emails passed the last 5 days only. I have tried to see within cpanel who is relaying or where the mails are coming from with difficulty.

How can I track down whether there is a spammer using the server or where the emails are originating from?

TIA
    Mike

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. drmike

drmike Active Member

I know I'm a little late but I know my verson of exim puts the account name in the headers.

-drmike

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mydomain

mydomain Well-Known Member

How have you enabled that on there?

4. drmike

drmike Active Member

Did find this:

Main >> Server Setup >> Tweak Settings

Track the origin of messages sent though the mail server by adding the X-Source headers (exim 4.34+ required)

Another thing you can use is the exim_mainlog file. When an email is sent, you should get the following:

2004-09-11 11:21:53 1C69hf-00012m-0X <= someuser@mydomain.com U=myaccount P=local-bsmtp S=1781 id=20040911150508.16972.qmail@mydomain.com

With the U being the account.

-drmike