The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help understanding addons and modules

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by teknosoul, May 3, 2010.

1. teknosoul

teknosoul Member

Hi everyone,

We are in the process of setting up a box for our eval license (the public static IP was a problem for us, but we're close) and I wanted to get a jump start on the development aspect of what we're trying to accomplish.

Can a cPAddon be a script that we can provide as closed source (or not visible in the user's folder view) but the user can include in php via an include statement? Is that something set up in the environment variables / install step?

If I wanted to deploy our functionality as an Apache plugin, what is the best way for a system administrator to do this? If we opened up the C source to the admins, can they use EasyApache to build it easily? Users would then configure its use via .htaccess. I had wanted to do it using mod_perl to avoid issues regarding C compilation, but I heard that using mod_perl can hinder use of PHP.

Thanks,

SB

2. leefrom

leefrom Active Member

Hi there,

It might be a good idea if you could outline exactly what you want to be able to do.

Just to be clear, cPAddons are essentially an infrastructure for providing a unified installer script for applications that users might want to deploy, such as Wordpress, for example. Realistically the cPAddon code really needs to be perl.

it doesn't sound like that's what you are wanting to make. Perhaps you could go into a little more detail about the desired end-result?

As far as a custom Apache plugin, you can certainly do that via Easyapache's custom configure flags:

cPanel - Apache & PHP Customization - Using Custom Configure Flags

Just build your Apache module any way you like, then add the flags appropriately and EA will include it in the build.

3. cPanelDavidN

cPanelDavidN Integration Developer
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi teknosoul,

For a developer standpoint, a cPAddons is an installer for a website application that the end user will deploy to their website/database space. In theory, the payload could be anything, including a PHP library. The weird part is that when cPAddons are deployed they're designed to do some configuration of the webapp. Never tried to work around that part, but I'm sure it's doable:D

Regards,
    -Dave