HELP! Upgraded to MySQL5 and MySQL won't start now

uneedawebsite

Apr 14, 2003
I did the upgrade in WHM to MySQL 5 and followed the instructions about rebuilding apache and updating Perl modules.

Now, MySQL will not start. There is no mysql.sock in /var/lib/mysql

I tried searching here for 'Mysql 4 to 5 upgrade problem' and variations on it, but I keep getting the error that my query is too short. Grrr.

Please, someone help. All of my PHP sites are down.

Mark

uneedawebsite

Apr 14, 2003
Found the fix for my.cnf removing the basedir path.

Now, I have a different problem. I am now getting 500 errors on all PHP sites.

/usr/local/apache/logs/error.log only show Premature end of script headers error.

Mark

Misiek

Feb 23, 2004
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I did the upgrade in WHM to MySQL 5 and followed the instructions about rebuilding apache and updating Perl modules.

Now, MySQL will not start. There is no mysql.sock in /var/lib/mysql

I tried searching here for 'Mysql 4 to 5 upgrade problem' and variations on it, but I keep getting the error that my query is too short. Grrr.

Please, someone help. All of my PHP sites are down.

Mark
The most usual cause of this is :

in /etc/my.cnf

comment line basedir= , so it looks like this #basedir= then try to start mysql

uneedawebsite

Apr 14, 2003
Both of you were right. I had to make the basedir change in my.cnf and also had to recompile PHP, as it was hosed.

The interesting thing is that I had customized PHP in easyapache and that config worked for a long time. When I ran easyapache this time, with the same config, PHP recompiled but was hosed. I had to load one of the beginner configs, run the program, load the config to modify it and recompile again before I could get it to work.

Thanks for all the replies and help.

Mark