The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with backing up accounts on another server.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phantom2, Feb 9, 2005.

1. phantom2

phantom2 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I need to backup all of my client accounts onto another server. I also need to make sure the DB's, addon domains, parked domains, email accounts, etc... all get backed up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all...

In cpanel, users can create a backup of everything just by clicking a link which
    creates a tar file in their homw directory.

Is there any way to generate a backup like this for every account all at once and then move them to another servers all at once? This would be idea? Can this be done?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking about using the SCP command but it wont grab everything.

What I want to know is if this will work....

I was thinking about using the cpanel transfer feature to move the accounts to another server
    as a way of backing them up. Here' are my questions...

1. When you use the multi account transfer system, will it remove the accounts on the old server? I've done it before but just cant remember if it removed the accounts on the old server.

2. I do remember that when you transfer accounts to another server, a cpmove-account.tar file is made for each account on the old server. The problem is this takes up space on the old server. So what if before transferring the accounts, the current server with all of the accounts on them are taking up, for example, 30GB and there is only 5GB of available space left. All of thoses "cpmove" tar files will take up much more than 5GB. Do how do I keep the server from running out of disk space.

3. On the new server, will the new zone files contain the name servers of the new server along with the new servers' ip?

If the above is not the best way, what about using scp? How can I get everything?
    a) Account data
    b) DB's
    c) Addon domains
    d) parked domains
    e) log files/stats
    f) email accounts
    g) anything else needed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For the accounts, will this work?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cd /home; tar czvf accountID.tar.gz accountID; scp accountID.tar.gz root@receivingserver.com:/home/yourtmp

Enter root PW on backup server

Then this command...

cd /home/yourtmp tar xzvf accountID.tar.gz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Could I get the entire home directory like this?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tar czvf home.tar.gz home; scp home.tar.gz root@receivingserver.com:/home/backup

Enter root PW on backup server

Then this command...

tar xzvf home.tar.gz

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next, how do I get the following...

1. Addon and parked domains.
    2. MySQL DB's

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally,
    WHM has a backup feature that allows you to backup accounts onto another server.
    Can someone post very detailed instructions on how to do this? Also, I see you can set it up to backup daily. How can I set it up to do a backup immediately.

Thank you very much!

2. flash7

flash7 Well-Known Member

Hello,

me too I need some helps for new new server, this work for backup, hosting and secondary DNS, in my primary server is already installed cPanel, so how to setup the partitions?

like this?

/
    /backup
    /boot
    /home
    /usr
    /tmp
    /var

thanks

3. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    This is what the cpanel backup feature in WHM does, you can configure it to ftp to another location.

BTW - There are plenty of threads on backuping up, please use the search feature.

4. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    This has nothing to do with what the thread starter was asking. DO NOT hijack others threads. If after doing a thorough search you still need help open a new thread in the appropriate category.

5. CamronFry

CamronFry BANNED

Why are you doing this? Have you sold? I noticed you were selling in another post. If you sold let us know to who and for how much.