The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with backing up accounts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wsenter, Feb 9, 2005.

1. wsenter

wsenter Well-Known Member

Is it possible to be able to backup files from whm onto my local windows computer here? I know that it is possible to back up 1 account at a time within the new features of "cpanel backup" but I was not sure if there was an easy way to back up everything from the backup drive.

I know that this is major overkill here but I have been doing this for 2 years now and have never lost a client's data and this is mostly attributed to my being "overly anal" about stuff like this. My backups are about 20 GIGS or so. I would download them and then back them up on DVD in the unlikley event of a major melt down or something. I would also need a good way to be able to upload them. I am just working on my preventative measures to cover my worst case senerio.

2. simpint

simpint Member

I'm also overly anal, so I know exactly where you're coming from.

Have you looked at WHM's "remote backup" options? Other than this, you may prefer to automatically have downloaded the cpbackup directory wherever your backups are being stored on your server.

Dave

3. Est

Est Member

An Idea on this,

Do you have a spare mount on your server where you can store the backups? 'peferably a different drive to the one /home is one... adds a little redundancy'

If so, you could configure WHM to backup to the mount and then just SSH in and copy the weekly or monthly backups into your user directory then just download them via FTP...

it's a very simply process and you could proabably just write a perl script to do the coping and stuff for you.

Kind Regards,