Help with Backing up Server at an External Location

anthvale

Jan 8, 2020
Dover, NH
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thank you in advance for any help I receive. I am somewhat new to this (one year of offering hosting to my web design clients).

That being said, it's actually pathetic I haven't been backing up the server by now (other than my server snapshots).

So besides backing up the server locally on the server, I really want to also back it up at an external location (naturally). I'm wondering what the easiest way to do this is? Out of curiosity, is there a way to SFTP the backup to an external hard drive attached to my local machine in my home?

Anyways, I have begun to move forward with trying to set up the Google Drive API and I'm following this article here:

https://docs.cpanel.net/knowledge-b...gle-drive-as-a-backup-additional-destination/

I've successfully gotten through to the part that says: Create your account credentials >> Step 9.

But after that, it's requiring I fill out this AUTO Consent form and I'm not sure where to go from here. The Google doc that explains the difference between "Internal" and "External" is confusing to me and I would love some direction from anyone who has experience with this:

Choose how you want to configure and register your app, including your target users. You can only associate one app with your project.

User Type

Internal

Only available to users within your organization. You will not need to submit your app for verification.

External
Available to any user with a Google Account.
Are the other external locations easier to set up than Google Drive? Does anyone have any input on this? Also, do any of them cost any additional money?

Thanks,
Anthony

Attachments

GOT

Get Proactive!
PartnerNOC
Apr 8, 2003
Chesapeake, VA
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
I'm not too familiar with teh google drive backup option. Not a fan myself. You can use the rsync destination which is effectively the same as fstp, as long as your home drive is accessible via ssh on a public IP then you can use that with incremental backups and an rsync destiantion.

For ease, I really like jetback which would work the same way but it can actually READ the backups on your remote drive instead of just copying them to it like the cPanel one does.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Google's API is really complex and while I like the fact that you can backup to your drive it is pretty difficult to set up initially. For the user type it'd be set to External - you're not creating an application this is in the instance you were creating one, this does not mean other users will have access to your backups, they'd have access to the application you created should you have been creating one but they do not have access to your drive unless you share it with them.

@GOT is correct you could set up rsync to a local server if you had the public IP and I second the recommendation for JetBackup for flexibility and ease of use though you'd still need to set up a backup destination with it.

anthvale

Jan 8, 2020
Dover, NH
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks!

So JetBackup is essentially a plugin that assists and adds features/filters and things? But, still, needs a destination to backup the files to?

EDIT:

So, after playing around with JetBackup for a day, it's deff a bit more user friendly, but most of this is unfortunately still over my head. I'm having a real hard time setting up any remote destination at all. I'd preferably like to get it to somehow backup to my home computer user SFTP. But, I cannot for the life of me figure it out using the documents provided with JetBackup.

I use a mac. I have my IP/Hostname etc, Username, PW but have no clue where to go from there. I keep getting an error:

Error: Unable to create destination dir

Perhaps I'll consider taking this to the jetbackup forums or just continue using the local backup destination for now.

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I find the easiest method for me is to simply SFTP the backup folder to my local PC.
I do this every Friday afternoon, it takes about 40 minutes, and I keep a copy of last weeks backup.

I kick this off 5 minutes before I leave the office, using FileZilla.
Filezilla has a feature where it will shutdown the PC when the job is complete.

Reactions: cPanelLauren