Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED Help with CSF custom regex

Discussion in 'Security' started by phil99, Jun 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. phil99

phil99 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi, I was wondering if someone might be able to help me understand why the following ConfigServer Firewall custom regex entry doesn't work.

My /var/log/exim_mainlog gets flooded with entries like:

Code:
    2018-06-10 10:10:34 SMTP connection from hostname [xx.xx.xx.xx]:52250 lost D=10s

There are sometimes thousands of such entries in a short space of time. Whilst they are probably more of annoyance than a threat, I would like to block them.

I have created the following entry in /usr/local/csf/bin/regex.custom.pm:

Code:
    # SMTP connection flooding in exim_mainlog
    # Matches "SMTP connection from ... lost"
      if (($globlogs{SMTPAUTH_LOG}{$lgfile}) and ($line =~ /^\S+\s+\S+\s+(\[\d+\] )?SMTP connection from (\S+ )?\[(\S+)\](:\S*)? lost/)) {
         return ("Blocked SMTP connection lost from",$1,"customsmtp1","10","25,465,587","1","0");
      }

In csf.conf:

Code:
    LF_TRIGGER = 0
    LF_TRIGGER_PERM = 1
    SMTPAUTH_LOG = "/var/log/exim_mainlog"

I am restarting lfd after making changes to regex.custom.pm.

But it does not work - there are no entries in lfd.log, no emails sent.

I think that the regex itself it ok, as I have tested it against the exim_mainlog and it catches entries as expected:

Code:
    # grep -P "^\S+\s+\S+\s+(\[\d+\] )?SMTP connection from (\S+ )?\[(\S+)\](:\S*)? lost" exim_mainlog
    2018-06-10 10:10:34 SMTP connection from hostname [xx.xx.xx.xx]:52250 lost D=10s

I have tried with {CUSTOM1_LOG} instead of {SMTPAUTH_LOG}, with a corresponding csf.conf entry, but it makes no difference.

I have also tried with the alternative entry format that I have seen posted:

Code:
      if (($lgfile eq $config{SMTPAUTH_LOG} and ($line =~ /^\S+\s+\S+\s+(\[\d+\] )?SMTP connection from (\S+ )?\[(\S+)\](:\S*)? lost/)) {
         return ("Blocked SMTP connection lost from",$1,"customsmtp1","10","25,465,587","1","0");
      }

But still nothing.

Anyone any ideas? Thanks.

2. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Try this:

1) Make a file /usr/local/csf/bin/csfpre.sh
    2) Add the code
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --match multiport --dport 10,25,26,465,587 -m string --string 'lost' --algo bm -j DROP
    3) Make the file executable
    4) Restart CSF

I wrote this originally to stop connections from ylmf-pc computers - I don't know if it will work in your scenario that relies on "after connection" processing of the exim log.

Edit:

Looking at your regex, I wonder if the following would work
    Code:
      if (($globlogs{SMTPAUTH_LOG}{$lgfile}) and ($line =~ /(^.+ SMTP connection from hostname .+ lost D=.+)/)) {
      }
    There are some good examples at
    CSF Firewall (regex.custom.pm) share custom rules

and
    Custom REGEX rules for CSF. - ConfigServer Community Forum

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 rpvw, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    cPanelLauren likes this.
  3. phil99

phil99 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi rpvw.
    Thanks for your help. Based on your edit, I tried the following (there isn't always a hostname or D=):

Code:
      if (($globlogs{SMTPAUTH_LOG}{$lgfile}) and ($line =~ /^.+ SMTP connection from .+ lost/)) {
      }

Still no luck.

The regex was again tested with grep -P and worked as expected. I'm not sure you could make the regex any simpler than that, but I am far from an expert in those.

Thanks for the links. I've seen the examples in the csf forums, but I can't see what I'm doing wrong. I may post there as well.

4. fuzzylogic

fuzzylogic Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No time to test this for you, but I see an error in the logic of your regex.
    The ip would be stored in the $2 variable because it is the 2nd capture in the expression.
    So try...
    Code:
      if (($lgfile eq $config{SMTPAUTH_LOG} and ($line =~ /^\S+\s+\S+\s+(\[\d+\] )?SMTP connection from (\S+ )?\[(\S+)\](:\S*)? lost/)) {
         return ("Blocked SMTP connection lost from",$2,"customsmtp1","10","25,465,587","1","0");
      }

rpvw likes this.
  5. fuzzylogic

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    On closer inspection the ip would be in $3.
    Here is a different regex (simpler) that will capture the ip to $1
    I would also stick to using the CUSTOM1_LOG log file definitions untill its working before experimenting with using SMTPAUTH_LOG.
    Code:
    # SMTP connection flooding in exim_mainlog
      if (($globlogs{CUSTOM1_LOG}{$lgfile}) and ($line =~ /^\S+ \S+ SMTP connection from \S+ \[(\S+)\]:\d+ lost D=\d+s/)) {
         return ("Blocked SMTP connection lost from",$1,"customsmtp1","10","25,465,587","1");
      }

#5 fuzzylogic, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    rpvw likes this.
  6. fuzzylogic

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Found another issue...
    ("Blocked SMTP connection lost from",$1,"customsmtp1","10","25,465,587","1","0")
    Should be...
    ("Blocked SMTP connection lost from",$1,"customsmtp1","10","25,465,587","1")

rpvw likes this.
  7. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I forgot all about the group assignation of the variables :( - thanks @fuzzylogic for the corrections.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. phil99

phil99 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi fuzzylogic.

Thanks for your help, you solved it! Simply changing $1 to $3 worked with my original regex (which was based on some in RegexMain.pm anyway), whether there is a hostname or not ie

Code:
     if (($globlogs{SMTPAUTH_LOG}{$lgfile}) and ($line =~ /^\S+\s+\S+\s+(\[\d+\] )?SMTP connection from (\S+ )?\[(\S+)\]:)\S*)? lost/)) {
        return ("Blocked SMTP connection lost from",$3,"customsmtp1","10","25,465,587","1","0");
      }

I don't know perl at all, and had wondered what the $1 was doing. Now I know (sort of *)

About your last post, the final parameter is for CF_ENABLE, which I do not have enabled, but the expression works with the parameter in place (set to zero) anyway.

* If you have a bit more time, I am unclear as to what the 3 catches are?

But thanks for your time.

cPanelLauren likes this.
  9. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Here is the easy way of testing (that I should have done) and understanding the variables

1) Go to Regex Tester and Debugger Online - Javascript, PCRE, PHP
    2) Paste the regex
    Code:
    ^\S+\s+\S+\s+(\[\d+\] )?SMTP connection from (\S+ )?\[(\S+)\](:\S*)? lost
    into the top line

3) Paste your log example
    Code:
    into the Test String area.

You should see that it has indicated 1 Match and if you mouse over the Test String, you will get a popup of all the variables it has discovered showing that the xx.xx.xx.xx is the group #3

cPanelLauren likes this.
  10. phil99

phil99 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Brilliant, thanks rpvw

11. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    @fuzzylogic and @rpvw

Nice work guys, thanks for all your help on this!

@phil99 I'm glad to see they were able to help you get sorted please let us know if you have any further issues but for now I think we can safely mark this one as solved.