The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with "Default Address"

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by bundy, Jan 7, 2012.

1. bundy

bundy Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Brief version:
    Can someone tell me how to setup a default address [http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/CpanelDocs/CPanelGlossary#DefaultAddress]?

Detailed version:
    I'm trying to figure out how to set up a default address. I have read through the cPanel documentation on this:

Default Address

The only problem is that there is not enough information on this page for me to understand what I am supposed to do.

On my website's cPanel, which cPanel page should I be on. The documentation does not say. However, the only one that looks logical is the "Email Account Forwarders" page. I am guessing that I should be using a "regular" forwarder (as opposed to a domain forwarder) since the domain forward does not have the options discussed in the documentation.

I have already created an email account and tested it. I can send and receive email through that account. I want this account to be the default account.

The section:

Default Address

says to select a domain (step 1), to select the "forward to email address option", and then enter the destination address without the “@” and the domain name (step 2). My reading is that step 3 is optional. Step 4 says to press the "Change" button, but there isn't a change button. There is a "Add Forwarder" button. When I press it, I get two errors saying that the forward address and the destination address are not valid, though I followed the directions exactly.

Can someone provide proper instructions on doing this?

Sincerest thanks,
    --ross

#1 bundy, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  2. bundy

bundy Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    So I think that I've found part of the answer, but I still need help.

In my cPanel, the "Default Address" option does not appear. I assume that this has been turned off by my service provider. I finally found some useful information at:

Catchall E-mail - Lunarpages Web Hosting Wiki

I have no idea what is happening to email being sent to the default account and I can't seem to find anything about accessing the default account in the cPanel documentation.

How do I access the default account?

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Your Host would be a better to ask about this. Only they know whats enabled or not on your account and can explain their services to you properly.

The "default" account is not an email account really, its used by the system. As that lunar pages doc explains, if you do as it instructs, all unrouted mail will be rejected. You want that.
    If you don't, a spammer sends email to "yourdomain.com" at you@yourdomain.com, me@yourdomain.com, someoneelse@yourdomain.com himtoo@yourdomain.com and all of these emails will go to the system "mailbox". You don't want that.

You can login to your webmail using the cPanel account username used to login to view these emails and remove them.

In other words, the default address is already setup. As the cPanel Documentation states:
    You do not want to catch all the unrouted email that someone fires at your domain. You want to reject it.

Create new email accounts as you wish, follow those instructions you've linked to above to "Discard with error to sender".

4. ruzbehraja

ruzbehraja Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The best way to find out is to send a mail to any email address that is not created on your account. Eg: blah@yourdomain.com

If you get a bounce back, then the bounce will have the error. Eg: No such user here.

If you do not get a bounce back it is probably set to :blackhole: or is being forwarded to a spam email address (unlikely)

You can verify the error or delivery if you use the command line smtp commands. That will show you a more verbose error.

5. bundy

bundy Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Excellent info! Many thanks!

Just to close the loop on this....

Invalid emails to my domain are being blackholed. I email to blah@mydomain.com and I don't get any failure messages back from the mail server. More importantly, I found that I can access the default address account through cPanel's webmail. At least it tells me that it is log in with the default account name. There are no messages here, which again seems to verify that emails are being blackholed.

I also figured out that the WHM has an option to show or hide the "Default Address" option in cPanel. I assume that my service provider has turned this off (which is exactly what they want given the potential risks as described in the thread replies above).

Many thanks, again!