The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with DNS & Nameserver Setup Please

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by EastcoastUK, Oct 17, 2009.

1. EastcoastUK

EastcoastUK Member

Hiya all, i've been looking through the forum to try and get some help and info on my problem with WHM set up. It is a new install on a VPS and I have registered my domain Index of / and pointed its name servers at my hosts 2 nameserver IP's.

However, when I try to access my site from my URL I just get the Cannot Access Server in my browser window. What am I doing wrong. My main IP for my server is on 100.100.100.6 and my Nameservers are on 100.100.100.12 and 100.100.100.13 do I need to do anything to get this pointed at my main IP address or should it do this normally?

When I run my address through intoDNS it throws up errors at the bottom of the report relating to A entries which I don't fully understand yet so would be great if someone could explain these results to me please.

I am getting frustrated because I need to get my site up and running asap or i'm losing money here.. Help would be gratefully appreciated on this.

Regards

Jay Knight

2. acenetryan

acenetryan Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Is your domain http://www.eastcoast-webservices.com?

I can see your index fine. You just need to upload your files to the document root of your account now.

As for your DNS:

These two go hand in hand:
    Different subnets
    Different autonomous systems

Most DNS checks will check whether your nameservers are on different subnets. These are only warnings because it isn't technically an error. It just means that if one of your nameservers is down, they probably both are which means your site is down. If you plan to host your nameservers on the same server as your HTTP service, you can disregard this. If your DNS is down, it's likely your HTTP is down as well. Though, it's best to have your DNS hosted externally from your HTTP and on two different machines, one for each nameserver.

SOA EXPIRE

A little googling:
    SOA EXPIRE Your SOA EXPIRE number is: 3600000. That is NOT OK - Webmaster Central Help

Reverse MX A records (PTR)

You really should have a reverse DNS entry for your IP. A lot of mail providers check against a valid reverse DNS, notably AOL. If you don't have delegation of your PTR entries, ask your host.

WWW A Record

Pretty self explanatory. Setup an A record for your www entry.

3. acenetryan

acenetryan Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I just reread your post. If you have your domain up and running but you're unable to see it in your browser, try flushing your firewall on your server (assuming Linux).

Code:
    iptables -F

If you still can't see it, you may want to check your local firewalls, see if you can access it from a proxy (I use proxify.com), or try another computer.

4. EastcoastUK

EastcoastUK Member

Thanks for your replies, i'm now up and running it seems it seems like my ISP's dns hadn't refreshed and picked up the info. Changed to open DNS in my connection and I can see my site.

I am able to change settings and don't need my host to do it so how do I go about fixing the issue with reverse ip?

And just to get this right i create an A record and point it at my address

Many thanks

Jay

5. Zaf

Zaf Well-Known Member

Greetings!

For setting up rDNS, you need to be the owner of the IP block or take assistance the provider, for setting up the PTR record. However, you may set up the A record for forward resolution of the rDNS name from your control panel.

Further, please do read up about SOA records (if it interests you) or make some changes based on the points mentioned hereunder:
    1. Refresh time is usually 3 times or more than that of the Retry time. (personally I keep Refresh 28800 and Retry 7200)
    2. The Expire value is generally up to 4 weeks (personally I prefer it as 4 weeks i.e. 2419200 secs)