The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with DNS

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by designpros, Nov 20, 2003.

1. designpros

designpros Registered

All,

I am a long time Unix System Admin, so I understand how the system side of DNS and such works, however I am having serious issues getting this to work with cpanel and before I start down a road of confusion due to missed steps can someone help me out with this.

I have a new server that I want to setup with my main DNS server, that I will use for all of my hosting accounts. HEre is the setup:

x.x.x.2 - main ip for all hosted accounts
    x.x.x.3 - dns1
    x.x.x.4 - dns2

What is the best way to set this up? I have tried several things but cpanel seems to want to default to my first IP when I start messing with nameservers? I am also assuming that there is a LOT of work for completely running a full DNS server that receives regular updates, my plan is to just use this to manage my hosted accounts.

So any help would be appreciated.

2. jblack

jblack Member

Hello,

Not very complicated, many hosts are using this.

Firstly I guess this is what you want to do:

the server will server as host for some sites and also the master dns server for all sites with your hosting company.

In that case, first you need to setup the main shared ip

Under WHM , in the option "Edit Setup"

the first field is to give the main ip address:

"Main Shared Virtual Host IP:"

Now scroll down and you will see two other fields:

"Primary Nameserver:"

"Seconday Nameserver:"

Here you need to give the name of your primary and secondary nameservers and click the button "Assign IP address", there you can provide the IP too.

Go to "Initial Nameserver Setup" in WHM, initialize BIND.
    Go to "Manage Nameserver IPs" in WHM, assign the ips as Nameserver IPs, so these ips wont be used for domain creation or other nameservers.

Now the server is setup to function as a webhost and a primary dns server.

You should enable trust relationship on other servers, this should done in the WHM of OTHER servers not the main DNS servers.

In WHM, Under DNS functions the link is :"Establish a Trust Relationship with a Primary Nameserver". Once you enable the trust on other servers with the master dns servers, everything will work fine.

Not sure if I missed anything. But this should do the trick.

Thanks.

3. calvinvannguyen

For sign up Primary Nameserver:
    I can give any name I want or I had to have a domain main? My hostname in my server is shave.79.160.188 , can I create Primary Nameserver be ns.shave.79.160.188

Also for creat a account is meaning that we can sign up any domain we want or we had to have owner that domain? Please help me out. Many thanks