Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

help with file permissions please 0777 & 0755

Discussion in 'Security' started by gcehosting, Feb 27, 2012.

1. gcehosting

gcehosting Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi there,

I have been a hosting provider for a couple of years now, but this month decided to start buying my own vps's etc.

I have CentOs6 x64 with whm / cpanel as my main web server and I am faceing a problem with file permissions. On all other hosting I have ever had the most a file would need to be set to is 0755 but now this vps mainly wants files to be 0777.

A client installed IPB 3.2.3 and any file or directory that the forum needed write access too had to be changed to 0777.

Now i feel unconfortable about the security issues it raises.

So my question is simple I hope. Is there a setting somewhere to give the ssytem enough permissions when using 0755 rather? And is this a OS issue or is it a setting that is related to whm/cpanel?

I really want to change this to only need 0755 and on the very rare occassion 0777

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. gcehosting

gcehosting Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well never mind. I found a forum post that mentions DSO was running php. Changed it to suPHP and all is well