The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with nameservers WHM

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by HongKongKilla, Nov 21, 2007.

1. HongKongKilla

HongKongKilla Member

Well I just got a new dedicated server and I'm fairly new to setting them up. I've read a bunch of tutorials but I don't see the answer or I'm just not understanding it.

My problem is I have a domain, registered through Yahoo, and I don't know what to my nameservers to. I put the name server to ns1.mydomain.com and it assigned the ip on the box and then when I try to change my nameservers on yahoo it gives me an error. I just want to put that domain assigned to the box so I don't have to manually put the ip anymore.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :D

sorry if this question was asked I just dont know if I'm just completely missing something or what :confused:

2. MaraBlue

MaraBlue Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    A little more info would be good. When you change your nameserver information on Yahoo, what is the error it gives?

Do you have the domain set up as a nameserver with Yahoo? (I've never known anyone who used Yahoo to reg a domain, so I'm unfamiliar how they work). I know with eNom you need to set up the IP/domain as a nameserver, basically register it as a nameserver.

If you could provide what information you're putting where, and what error message you get back, it would be easier for someone to help.

3. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

You will need to regsiter the nameservers in your Yahoo domain control panel (together with the IPs shown in WHM for the nameservers - left hand pane, Networking Setup/Nameserver IPs) for the nameservers to work. Bear in mind that it will take some hours for the nameservers to become recognised thoughout the various golbal root servers too (so they wont work instantaneously).

Help information from Yahoo for registering nameservers wasn't all that easy to pinpoint accurately but these may help - http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/geocities/domains/domainfeatures/advanceddns/advanceddns-18.html or http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/sm...omainfeatures/advanceddns/advanceddns-18.html (both seem to be the same.

I would imagine that there is a search help facility within yahoo's domain interface, so try searching for 'register new nameservers' when you are logged into it.

Don't forget to make the necessary additions to the primary and secondary nameservers section in WHM's Basic cPanel/WHM Setup (left pane, first link).

4. HongKongKilla

HongKongKilla Member

Alright, that seems to be what I was looking for thanks for the help.

For some reason I'm trying to add the 2nd nameserver under the Nameserver IPs section to be added right after my NS1.domain.com but it's giving me the error, "Nameserver Ip Assignment
    Sorry, you are out of ips to assign as nameservers."

I just asked my server provider for additional IPs and they sent me a reply back with 5 additional IPs and a netmask, is there any other thing I'm supposed to do to activate or am I adding the additional nameserver in the wrong part.

sorry for so many questions, i'm just new to this :(

edit: after finding the IP add section it says this after I try to add the IPs my host gave me, "System has 0 free ips."

#4 HongKongKilla, Nov 21, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  5. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Scroll down in the left pane to IP Functions and click Add New IP Address, then add the IPs that your hsot gave you (using the subnet that they gave you). Then go and add the other nameserver. ;)

6. HongKongKilla

HongKongKilla Member

Skipping ip.here.com .. already added
    System has 0 free ips

it's the System has 0 free ips part that always shows up.

7. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

hmm, you couldn't have added the extra IP addresses given to you. Might I suggest that you ask your host for help with this so that perhaps they can add the IPs for you and complete the process?

8. HongKongKilla

HongKongKilla Member

"Please login and check if you have eth1 setup as main interface .If that is the case you need to put it under your basic cpanel settings in order for the ips to work."

Is the message my host gave me. What is eth1?

9. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Go to Basic cPanel/WHM Setup (first link on left hand pane) and scroll down to Alternate Main Ethernet Device and add eth1, then save.

I'm pretty surprised that your host wont help in doing the work or give more detailed help at least tbh.

10. HongKongKilla

HongKongKilla Member

Yet again, same problem, I get the same error again either I'm doing something wrong or the Ips didn't get added or something. Yeah I'm pretty upset that my host isn't even helping me with this but I really appreciate your help :D is there any other way I can contact you since you seem the only person who is helping/caring about my problem :)

edit:

i sent in an email and they said it would cost $25 minimum for them to help me any further for setting it up.

#10 HongKongKilla, Nov 22, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  11. chopperb

chopperb Active Member

12. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but I am not in the position to take on other providers' support work. Forum discussion is different though.

TBH (and not intending to flame your provider) it could be that there is a server/ethernet configuration problem preventing the IPs being added through WHM (and I am not sure why you would need to add eth1 as opposed to leaving that blank to use the default eth0), in that case your provider should really help out with that by at least checking that they have handed the server to you in a useable state. As a matter of interest, who is the provider (you don't have to answer that btw)?

But let's jsut make sure that you've added them using IP Functions/Add New IP Address. You enter the IP address one by one in the first box, then add the subnet mask (which is usually 255.255.255.0). When you do that, what happens and what specific error message do you get if any?

If they do add okay then try IP Functions/Rebuild the IP Address Pool and let's see what IP Functions/Show IP Address Usage and IP Functions/Show/Edit Reserved IPs shows you.

Also, what output do you get from running ifconfig in ssh?

I've never personally found it at all hard to add IP addresses using WHM.

13. HongKongKilla

HongKongKilla Member

I actually got it to work, the only problem I'm having now is connecting through ftp and making subdomains. The problem I had was when I first added the ips I didn't have the eth1 on and all I had to do was delete the ips I added before and re-add them and it worked fine. As far as my problem with adding new subdomains, in yahoo domain manager CNAME Record /*.mydomain.com / Yahoo! Hostname, I don't know what to replace Yahoo! Hostname. It says to put info.some-otherdomain.com but if I don't have another domain setup is there anyway to make the subdomain portion work?

14. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

You'll be wanting to set your nameservers for your domain instead of using host records. Set the nameservers you have, try using the help link in Yahoo's domain control panel for more detail on how to do that. Once you set the nameservers the host records should be over-ridden.

15. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Usually you would use ftp.whateverdomain.com in your ftp client, but that will also rely on full propagation of the nameservers change across the net - depending on many things, that can take up to 1 or 2 days.

You can always use your main IP address for ftp tho.

16. HongKongKilla

HongKongKilla Member

i forgot to say thanks.

i've got everything that I need working (I hope)

just want to thank you so much for the help :)