Help with r57 exploit checking script

aarondwyer

Verifed Vendor
Mar 26, 2005
Brisbane
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Code:
find /home/ \( -name "*.cgi" -o -name "*.php" \) -print | xargs egrep -l 'c99shell|r57shell|WebShell|phpshell' >> /root/report.txt
When I run this to check for exploits it fails after a while with this error and doesn't make it through all my /home accounts

xargs: unmatched single quote

Does anyone know of a way of making this command line better to ignore single quotes or make it continue after an error?

I'm not very good with my sh scripting.

Thanks
Aaron

brianoz

Mar 13, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'm not very good with my sh scripting.
Actually, you're doing pretty good here, I wouldn't diss yourself like that!

This is kind of an obscure error and I'm not surprised you're stumped; I remember a large amount of pain the first time I hit this! The problem is that you've hit a filename with a single quote in it. You could remove the file, but find and xargs have a built in solution to just this exact problem:
Code:
find ... -print0 | xargs -0 ...
In other words, just change your find "-print" to "-print0" and add the -0 option to xargs and you're good to go. What this will do for you is that find will delimit file names with a NULL (\0 character) and xargs will look for NULL terminated file names.

Hope this helps ...

aarondwyer

Verifed Vendor
Mar 26, 2005
Brisbane
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Abosultely brilliant, worked like a charm and I found some more compromised scripts on the server, thanks Brian.

Aaron

ffeingol

PartnerNOC
Nov 9, 2001
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
I have not tested this, but I think you could simply the process by running:

Code:
find /home/ \( -name "*.cgi" -o -name "*.php" \) -exec egrep -l 'c99shell|r57shell|WebShell|phpshell' >> /root/report.txt
Frank

ffeingol

PartnerNOC
Nov 9, 2001
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
my bad on the code. I would normally use:

Code:
find /home/ \( -name "*.cgi" -o -name "*.php" \) -exec egrep -l 'c99shell|r57shell|WebShell|phpshell' {} \; >> /root/report.txt
Won't that only run for the files that match the .cgi or php?