webtipster

Aug 27, 2016
Atlanta, GA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hey guys,

Lately I'm finding that some of the mail on my cPanel server is not being delivered. What is weird, is that mail IP is not blacklisted anywhere, DKIM, SPF, DMARC, rDNS, etc.. is all setup correctly but some mail just never shows up, saw one rejected from hotmail for spam, etc... just different reports from users. Could be reputation is not established for the IP address or similar as its fairly new server. So it has led me to think about implementing a smarthost.

Will using a smarthost help with email delivery? If so, do you have any recommendations such as SendGrid or MailGun etc...?

Any advice is appreciated!
Thank you!

andrew.n

Jun 9, 2020
EU
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
SmartHost should help but you can also figure out what the issue is by checking the exit log at /var/log/exim_mainlog to see what the recipient's server says about this.

webtipster

Aug 27, 2016
Atlanta, GA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Thanks! Just looked at that as well. Looks like the issue is caused by a user setting up forwarding from @theirdomain to their gmail and gmail then triggering it as spam. Guess best way to deal with that is to ask them to remove their forwarding?

SmartHost should help but you can also figure out what the issue is by checking the exit log at /var/log/exim_mainlog to see what the recipient's server says about this.

andrew.n

Jun 9, 2020
EU
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Yes I often see such forwarding is a problem as most of the users use some of the more popular email services like gmail, hotmail, yahoo etc.. and when you have 50 accounts and under each of them you have at least 3-4 forwarders set then that could easily add up and triggering throttling and even blacklisting of your server :(

webtipster

Aug 27, 2016
Atlanta, GA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Do you know if SmartHost would solve some of these issues or help significantly with email delivery for others? Don't feel like doing it, I might be just lazy lol.

cPanelLauren

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
A Smarthost wouldn't resolve the issue with forwarding. What would resolve that issue is to actually receive the mail in GMAIL they do have a setting where you can essentially use it as a mail client and retrieve the mail in your GMAIL account rather than forward it. Mail relays like SendGrid and MailGun may help with spam and freeing up resources on a busy server

webtipster

Aug 27, 2016
Atlanta, GA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Ah I haven't even thought about having them add it to their Gmail vs. forwarding!
Thank you for your suggestion!

A Smarthost wouldn't resolve the issue with forwarding. What would resolve that issue is to actually receive the mail in GMAIL they do have a setting where you can essentially use it as a mail client and retrieve the mail in your GMAIL account rather than forward it. Mail relays like SendGrid and MailGun may help with spam and freeing up resources on a busy server

Reactions: cPanelLauren