The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with unusual Por 80 failures...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by [JZ], Jul 9, 2009.

1. [JZ]

[JZ] Member

Hi All,

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

On average at the moment i have to cut down the file sizes or delete my access_log and error_log files, otherwise i get never ending and multiple Port 80 failures where httpd will not stay up for more than 30 seconds!

Have tried updating, reconfiguring and checking other error logs but to no avail.
    Cant find much related on the forum here.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks.

2. logicsupport

logicsupport Well-Known Member

Hi,

In WHM -> Service Configuration -> Apache Configuration -> Log Rotation try checking the boxes , then click save . That interface allows you to specify rotation for any log file in /usr/local/apache/logs . Note that these logs will be rotated once they reach 300 MB in size.

Another reason for the failure of apache would be the cause of semaphore arrays. Regarding semaphore it is a lot like a locking mechanism. In any server there is an order of precedence in which tasks must be accomplished. The semaphore is used to maintain that precedence order. A succeeding task may not start until it has received the semaphores from all of it's predecessors. It can lead processes to a hung state because of the incomplete transaction. This will result to failure of these services until we remove the Sem-ids manually from their arrays. There are scripts available to remove semaphore . Do not forget to restart apache after that.

Also we can setup schedulers to crop the apache logs and domlogs. This should fix your issue permanently.

3. [JZ]

[JZ] Member

Hi,

Many thanks for your detailed reply.
    Has helped me greatly.

All the best.