Help with WHM securing

NxN

Registered
Jan 30, 2017
Europe
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Let's start

I get recently a vps managed, i could get with root access but i choice without root access

Questions
1 - With root access I'm able to do more functions "have more power" tell me why?

When i order my product, ask to use a domain, i use my primary domain, the domain i will develop my project.
I setup few information on my whm and...

Questions
2 - The password for my domain cpanel is the same as whm, any chance in have both totally different?

3 - Any possible to change/block or hide some entries on my domain DNS like (whm.site.com / cpanel.site.com / webmail.site.com ....) ? Looks unsafe

Also if you are free to resume or link me some content about make things more secure, gonna be a nice idea too.

Thank you
J

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
1 - With root access I'm able to do more functions "have more power" tell me why?
The root user has full access to make all modifications where other users are not as privileged. There will be limitations to what can be modified when utilizing a non-privileged user.

2 - The password for my domain cpanel is the same as whm, any chance in have both totally different?
It depends, do you log into WHM with the root user or with a reseller user that's the same username as your cPanel account?

3 - Any possible to change/block or hide some entries on my domain DNS like (whm.site.com / cpanel.site.com / webmail.site.com ....) ? Looks unsafe
You can block access to those from everyone but your IP address and/or IP's you've authorized, though this can only be managed through WHM as the root user or a fully privileged reseller user.

Also if you are free to resume or link me some content about make things more secure, gonna be a nice idea too.
We have the following guide that may be useful: Tips to Make Your Server More Secure - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation