The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sadealz1, Jun 8, 2011.

1. sadealz1

sadealz1 Registered

I am fresh out of doing things the simple way through a shared host.

My site has grown to a point where I have no choice but to purchase a VPS but I did not know it would be so complicated. All I want to do is set up my email forwarding from my domain, transfer my website over via ftp and have my domain point to the new location. I have worked on this a week and still cannot get any of this set up right.

I am currently using cpanel optimized. I tried looking for a easy set up guide but cannot find one. can anyone help or point me in the right direction?:(

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I think we can try. :)

Where are you at on all of this? Whats got you stuck?

3. sadealz1

sadealz1 Registered

well, with my shared host, i am use to signing in and creating my database to load my sql and being able to access my file manager to edit my website and add ftp user with no problem. This new cpanel optimized I am now using is is overwelming.

I was thinking that if i create a host account for myself that it will show a host cpanel similar to the one i have with the shared hosting but I do not know how to do that...sigh...

I see that i can easily forward my domain but after that I am totally lost.

I did figure out how to set up my emails though...:)

#3 sadealz1, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    There's several ways to get to where you want to go, but first things first (skipping mentioning security setup here, assuming your host has you covered) you need to create a package. Once you have a package, you create an account and give it that package. Once that account is setup, and the domain pointed to the server properly, you will have access to cPanel for that account, as you're used to.

5. sadealz1

sadealz1 Registered

yes, my security is in place. Thank god to that. I really do not feel comfortable with having it on port 22 though is there a way to change this? I will try what you sugested.

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Sure, there are multiple posts on this topic all over this forum that should be helpful. You'll edit the file called sshd_config
    In searching the forums for that one word you'll find many posts, like this one for example.

You'll need root access and know how to work via SSH with files to accomplish this task. If you're unsure there, best to speak with your host and explain what you want them to take care of for you.