Here goes ... could use some pointers guys.

carperman

Feb 7, 2002
any special advice for doing this on burst.net server?

carperman

Feb 7, 2002
Ok let me get this straight, this is the proceedure i follow to update to apache build, plus a few queries:

cd /tmp/ ---1gb---
wget http://layer1.cpanel.net/buildapache.sea
chmod +x buildapache.sea
./buildapache.sea

when the options menu comes up just select exit, save conf yes.

--------------------
(If you have recompiled apache before with custom configs then you may want to go threw some of the stuff in here).
Not sure about this bit, will it setup system/modules etc as was before or will i have to add modules?

Is it worth adding any custom modules at this point? if so what are the most common.
-----------------------

After that it will start the upgrade.

once your back at the prompt

/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl stop
/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl startssl

all seems to easy, i know something will go wrong :(

purplep

Feb 6, 2002
I too am a little sceptical about how easy this sounds!

Might just get pwebtech to do it for me!

rpmws

Aug 14, 2001
back woods of NC, USA
I started this thread and I am still scared !

carperman

Feb 7, 2002
whose going to do 1st then :)

Let us know how it went, i am on a burst.net server so any experience of doing it on one of these server would be good.

feanor

Aug 13, 2001
If your machine is RH 7.1 and above...... and you have rsync'd and sysup'd , and your current PHP version is 4.0.6, you shouldn't have any problems.

Can I guarantee that? No.
Should we all be building apache by hand instead of using these huge shell scripts? Maybe...... but then again cpanel begins to deteriorate the more you step off the beaten path of these are the modules required, these are the steps, etc......

I've had great luck with machines that match the above criteria, with the latest buildapache-

older machines usually result in a battle that takes a few hours, minimum. http://support.cpanel.net/obb/read.php?TID=1823
;)
Just be careful

carperman

Feb 7, 2002
well mine is a 6.2 machine that is behaving very strange so i might pass this one onto support

shaun

PartnerNOC
Verifed Vendor
Nov 9, 2001
San Clemente, Ca
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
The Above is what i did to upgrade machines where. I cannot say that this will work for everybody because some hosts/distributors push out variations of cpanel.

If you used the Default Layers when you installed cpanel from the cpanel.net website then i think you should have no problem as long as you havnt made any customized changes your self.

My advice, Call your host, ask them about it and see what they say. Some of you may just be on a resold dedicated server from VO and if you ran buildapache.sea that is bad new's since they seam to have some custom setup apache/mod_ssl/mod_php/mod_*/php/etc

So again ask your host.

Also the above was run on RH7.1 and 7.2 machines.

I dont see why 6.2 would be any diffrent though as long as it was a default cpanel install.

Brad

Aug 16, 2001
I did the upgrade yesterday on my VO machine, not knowing it would be a problem. I ran into a short problem with the mod perl, otherwise it went quite well. The only problem was the mod perl in the buildapache.sea broke our settings in the httpd.conf. and we had to comment out the mod perl module and it worked. Just don't enable Suexec unless you want another battle.

Then, after installing the apacheasp.sea, uncommenting the mod perl, it fixed it. This seems to be a problem with some other people, with or without VO, so something seems wrong in the apachebuild.sea.

I'm not really sure why VO is not advocating using the apachebuild.so, sure would make things easier for staying in line with Cpanel, just makes sense. Since they aren't and they have a good script of their own they use, they should update our servers with it, so we can handle this on our own without having to bug them. Or create their own VoApachebuild.so for us to keep inline with their needs, if any and current Cpanel updates.

I'd much rather see current Cpanel development leaning towards the maintenance and upkeep of Cpanel specific requirements of our machines right now, then adding extra features and scripts. Better documentation is under way by what I have heard, I hope this also addresses keeping a Cpanel machine, &Cpanel Compatible&. This seems to be a black area of concern, at least for me it is. Its easy to recompile Apache or Php, etc., but keeping it working with Cpanel is my biggest fear when I want to do something.

Anyways, the upgrade works fine, machine seems quicker now too, thanks Nick!!!

rpmws

Aug 14, 2001
back woods of NC, USA
I still haven't done it .. still have questions. The suggestions orginally stated to basically let the thing run by itself. What I wonder is does it know if you use mod_perl (I don't) and does it know we do not use SueExec and all these issues ..and also no ASP. So should I do a manual configuration? or does this installer know what I have already?

Vital

Nov 17, 2001
Don't get scared, Paul ;)))
It's easy as nuts... Just upgraded two boxes. buildapache.sea works pretty fine, with few excepts, here's the main guideline:
- make sure you have the latest one
- make sure, that you have backed up old httpd.conf, and mod_bwlimited.so from libexec directory, since buildapache isn't including it for unknown reason (actually i'm thinking about creating my own)
- if you have troubles with mod_perl, like guys above - segfaults of apache childs, (i had alot of ...ing trying to find our, what the heck is wrong), here's a solution: either recompile your perl and apache to support big files, or cd to buildapache directory, edit buildscript, find

perl Makefile.PL USE_APXS=1 \
WITH_APXS=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs \
EVERYTHING=1

there, and change it to :

PERL_USELARGEFILES=0 \
EVERYTHING=1

this will fix mod_perl, since it's a good thing to use.
- you can safely start using suexec, it works
- you will need to backup mod_gzip with it's config rules also
- since you're using FP extensions 5.x already, you won't f..ck up frontpage, but with old ones you just need to reinstall FP extensions on affected accounts.
- eeemmmm... actually i'd recommend you to install zziplib and libmhash as well (go find them at freshmeat ;), edit buildscript in buildapache directory, and change php configuration string to this monster:

./configure --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs --with-ming --with-xml --enable-bcmath --enable-calendar --with-curl=/usr --with-swf=/usr/local/flash --enable-ftp --with-gd=../gd-1.8.4 --with-jpeg-dir=/usr --with-xpm-dir=/usr/X11R6 --with-png-dir=/usr --with-kerberos=/usr/kerberos --with-imap=../imap-2001.BETA.SNAP-0105220031 --with-mcrypt=/usr --with-ming=../ming-0.1.1 --with-mysql=/usr --with-xslt-sablot --enable-magic-quotes --enable-safe-mode --enable-track-vars --with-ttf --enable-versioning --with-zlib --enable-force-cgi-redirect --enable-discard-path --with-pear --enable-safe-mode --enable-magic-quotes --enable-bcmath --with-bz2 --enable-calendar --enable-ctype --enable-exif --enable-filepro --enable-ftp --enable-gd-native-ttf --with-tiff-dir=/usr --with-ttf --with-gettext --with-gmp --enable-mailparse --enable-mbstring --enable-mbstr-enc-trans --with-ncurses --enable-trans-sid --enable-sockets --enable-wddx --enable-xslt --with-zip --enable-versioning --enable-inline-optimization --enable-memory-limit --enable-shmop --enable-sysvsem --enable-sysvshm --enable-mhash

make sure that version-specific directories match what you have now, though, and adjust them, when needed. This will make a pretty rich-featured php build for you, rather than default one.
Works fine on default RH 7.2 installation.

- install Zend Optimizer ... (/scripts/install-zendopt411)

Well, i think that's it... I love php-4.1.2, damn thing is fast and smarter, that 4.0.x serie.

rpmws

Aug 14, 2001
back woods of NC, USA
[quote:cf98568471][i:cf98568471]Originally posted by Vital[/i:cf98568471]

Don't get scared, Paul ;)))
It's easy as nuts... Just upgraded two boxes. buildapache.sea works pretty fine, with few excepts, here's the main guideline:
- make sure you have the latest one
- make sure, that you have backed up old httpd.conf, and mod_bwlimited.so from libexec directory, since buildapache isn't including it for unknown reason (actually i'm thinking about creating my own)
- if you have troubles with mod_perl, like guys above - segfaults of apache childs, (i had alot of ...ing trying to find our, what the heck is wrong), here's a solution: either recompile your perl and apache to support big files, or cd to buildapache directory, edit buildscript, find

EVERYTHING=1

there, and change it to :

PERL_USELARGEFILES=0 \
EVERYTHING=1

this will fix mod_perl, since it's a good thing to use.
- you can safely start using suexec, it works
- you will need to backup mod_gzip with it's config rules also
- since you're using FP extensions 5.x already, you won't f..ck up frontpage, but with old ones you just need to reinstall FP extensions on affected accounts.
- eeemmmm... actually i'd recommend you to install zziplib and libmhash as well (go find them at freshmeat ;), edit buildscript in buildapache directory, and change php configuration string to this monster:

./configure --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs --with-ming --with-xml --enable-bcmath --enable-calendar --with-curl=/usr --with-swf=/usr/local/flash --enable-ftp --with-gd=../gd-1.8.4 --with-jpeg-dir=/usr --with-xpm-dir=/usr/X11R6 --with-png-dir=/usr --with-kerberos=/usr/kerberos --with-imap=../imap-2001.BETA.SNAP-0105220031 --with-mcrypt=/usr --with-ming=../ming-0.1.1 --with-mysql=/usr --with-xslt-sablot --enable-magic-quotes --enable-safe-mode --enable-track-vars --with-ttf --enable-versioning --with-zlib --enable-force-cgi-redirect --enable-discard-path --with-pear --enable-safe-mode --enable-magic-quotes --enable-bcmath --with-bz2 --enable-calendar --enable-ctype --enable-exif --enable-filepro --enable-ftp --enable-gd-native-ttf --with-tiff-dir=/usr --with-ttf --with-gettext --with-gmp --enable-mailparse --enable-mbstring --enable-mbstr-enc-trans --with-ncurses --enable-trans-sid --enable-sockets --enable-wddx --enable-xslt --with-zip --enable-versioning --enable-inline-optimization --enable-memory-limit --enable-shmop --enable-sysvsem --enable-sysvshm --enable-mhash

make sure that version-specific directories match what you have now, though, and adjust them, when needed. This will make a pretty rich-featured php build for you, rather than default one.
Works fine on default RH 7.2 installation.

- install Zend Optimizer ... (/scripts/install-zendopt411)

Well, i think that's it... I love php-4.1.2, damn thing is fast and smarter, that 4.0.x serie.[/quote:cf98568471]

My God thatnk you so much all of that !! Clear as mud. One thing RH7.1 not 7.2 ... you doing all these for Carlos?

1 question ... How much ? You know I try not to ask for much in the last waht 6 months not one support ticket. This one has me scared off of my mind man. 156 days no issues ... well had mod_gzip use up /tmp but I fixed that in 1 minute. so how much? Way I see it the only 3 issues I have had is 3 expired Cpanel Keys and I think we know that wasn't my fault. :)

Vital

Nov 17, 2001
Geeze, such a huge post of mine. ;)))

Paul, it's JUST A SHELL SCRIPT ;)))
It doesn't have a clue of what you have now, it's dumb as hell, and it doesn't need to be smart, since YOU ARE ;)

- If you don't need suexec, you can edit buildscript, or remove suexec binary later, or turn off suexec from WHM.

- Well, you will have a nice ncurses menu to choose needed modules, you can omit mod_perl, however i don't see any reason for that.

- Ha, and don't forget to rm -rf /usr/local/apache before compiling, otherwise it wouldn't install ;)))

rpmws

Aug 14, 2001
back woods of NC, USA
Ok ..while I sit back and have zero angry clients for like a year .. and you are surrounded by a pile of them throwing spears and rocks at you .. knowing who built my install ..can you be fairly sure this thing won't go BOOM ? I wouldn't call me exactally &smart& ...I think smart might be leave working box , 2 good to be true alone. But I might trust you to blow it up for me :) so how much?

Vital

Nov 17, 2001
Eee... How much what? ;)
Yep, for Carlos, and for myself, and for the bunch of DC boxes ;)

RH 7.1 will do, you can install some libs, if PHP will complain on something missing ;) But i think it has all the same, maybe just older versions.

A, and another thing, if you have 2.4.x kernel... You may want to put this somewhere in /etc/rc.local :

echo 134217728 &/proc/sys/kernel/shmall
echo 134217728 &/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

cause they have a bit weird implementation of System V shared memory support.

Vital

Nov 17, 2001
Don't think it will go boom... ;) Very unlikely, that is... right now i only have a bad feeling of an oncoming f...ing with CPanel's Tomcat &stick-it-in& thingie.. but you aren't using it, afaics.

As for calling you &smart& - well, you've discovered that issue with localhost in resolv.conf, and i'm still thankful for that ;)

rpmws

Aug 14, 2001
back woods of NC, USA
[quote:cf3571f35f][i:cf3571f35f]Originally posted by Vital[/i:cf3571f35f]

Don't think it will go boom... ;) Very unlikely, that is... right now i only have a bad feeling of an oncoming f...ing with CPanel's Tomcat &stick-it-in& thingie.. but you aren't using it, afaics.

As for calling you &smart& - well, you've discovered that issue with localhost in resolv.conf, and i'm still thankful for that ;)

[/quote:cf3571f35f]

2.4.2 .. I know ..but I trust and screen every client on that thing man...

How much meant &How much will it cost me?&

So that resolv.conf problem I STILL have and no one has ever seen ISN'T JUST ME??? Everyone else thinks I am crazy. If it is only at DC then maybe it's that external firewall messing us up? maybe. I mean everyone elase seems to be OK running local DNS in that resolv.conf.. not me. But that's OK. Carlso says leave well enough alone .. but he just said on phone he doesn't care what you do for me. I really appreachate all your input here already man. You gave enough info to help me make up my mind. Hell NO! not me anyway man .... it go BOOM! on me it will I knwo it will. hehe :(

Vital

Nov 17, 2001
[i:093ad202c3]2.4.2 .. I know ..but I trust and screen every client on that thing man...[/i:093ad202c3]
Gee... Paul, i really want to be wrong, but i think some day you will just die near this f..ing computer. ;) If i were you, i'd just upgrade kernel, and take a day off... Sometimes you need to live too. ;)

[i:093ad202c3]How much meant &How much will it cost me?&[/i:093ad202c3]
To be honest, i have no idea. You choose... If it's something reasonable, i will do it for you. Just dunno, how much it really costs... Nothing for me now, when i figured out most of the hidden catches in this process... I used to build everything by hand, adjusting configs, etc, but buildapache comes pretty handy, cause it compiles a shitload of libs , that doesn't really need my interaction ;)
Rest can be done manually...

What it will cost to you? Some amount of money + a way to send them + one hour + you should warn all your customers about downtime of their sites for at least 20 minutes. (by the way, what's your server specs are? just want to calculate, how much time it will take)

[i:093ad202c3]So that resolv.conf problem I STILL have and no one has ever seen ISN'T JUST ME???[/i:093ad202c3]

Hmmm... You thought it's just you? Well, i've seen few dozens of cpanel boxes, and ALL OF THEM are envenomed with this issue. And not only @ DC, VO and Burst.Net has the same story...
That's not the external firewall, that's the damn portsentry, that blocks localhost =/ Honestly, i haven't paid enough attention to this problem, but i need to... Maybe it's fixable somehow, i will keep you posted, if you wish ;)

[i:093ad202c3]I really appreachate all your input here already man.[/i:093ad202c3]
You are very welcome ;) I appreciated, what you have done for DC some time ago, if not you, it may have been buried under support issues.

[i:093ad202c3]Hell NO! not me anyway man .... it go BOOM! on me it will I knwo it will. hehe :([/i:093ad202c3]
&knwo& ;))) You guys both make same typos, sometimes i can confuse you ;)

Well.. I will take another precaution, and try to compile php without installing it, just to make sure, that it wouldn't say something bad. Some of RH 7.1 boxes tend to have messed up glibc-devel rpm, and compiler spits out alot of parse errors... First time i've seen that, i was stunned, but it was cured incredibly easy, when i figured, wth was broken ;)

moronhead

Aug 12, 2001
[quote:46aa1e1cd5]
That's not the external firewall, that's the damn portsentry, that blocks localhost =/ Honestly, i haven't paid enough attention to this problem, but i need to... Maybe it's fixable somehow, i will keep you posted, if you wish ;)
[/quote:46aa1e1cd5]

In /etc/portsentry/portsentry.ignore, add:

127.0.0.1/32

above the section that says:

#########################################
# Do NOT edit below this line, ...............................

rpmws

Aug 14, 2001
back woods of NC, USA
[quote:477ba62ab5][i:477ba62ab5]Originally posted by moronhead[/i:477ba62ab5]

[quote:477ba62ab5]
[/quote:477ba62ab5]

In /etc/portsentry/portsentry.ignore, add:

127.0.0.1/32

above the section that says:

#########################################
# Do NOT edit below this line, ...............................
[/quote:477ba62ab5]

Did that a year ago :(