The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi guys, please comment on my new project -> Cpanel XP 2005

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by Roy@ENHOST, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Roy@ENHOST

Roy@ENHOST Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I have been working on the 2005 version of Cpanel XP for a couple of months now.
    I just wanna share some screenshots with you guys and hopefully get some feedback about em. I hope to squeeze in more features before we launch.

[​IMG]
    More languages to bring you guys a step closer to world dominance.
    Evil laughter not included. :D

[​IMG]
    Tutorial mod will make sure links to flash tutorials will appear at the right places.
    e.g. Linkto 'How to setup POPmail ' tutorial will appear at the Add a POPMail section.
    This setup attacks the problems right at the sources.
    Have you ever wondered: despite your investment in fancy Flash tutorials you are still getting unnecessary tickets from clients asking how to setup a popmail?
    That is because those fancy tutorials are tucked away somewhere on your site. Lazy customers will never bother to look for it. To be bold about it, people hate to RTFM.
    But with this setup, they have no reason to bother you anymore.
    This feature is guaranteed to slash customer support tickets so that you can have more time to spend with friends and family. :D

[​IMG]
    Tutorial Mod backend. You can control if the tutorials Plays automatically or whether it should loop. You can even Rename the title. You can control foreign language tutorials to appear only if certain language is selected. What a mouthful.....:D

[​IMG]
    This is so fun I ended up playing with it for one hr. Startup Tips just like normal startup tips for desktop applications. Users can opt to disable it if they find it annoying, just like how they are able to disable tooltips.

[​IMG]
    Add/delete startuptips. You can determine the order of the startuptips by dragging and dropping them in the backend and click SAVE.

2. Roy@ENHOST

[​IMG]
    With the Events Module, you can display a certain message on cpanel for a specific period.The message will not be displayed if the time doesn't fall in between the FROM and the TO values. If you would like to display a message on a specific date, enter the same value for FROM and TO. You can enter the {{USERDOMAIN}} placeholder in the message which will be dynamically replaced with the actual customer's domain.You can use HTML tags in the message too.
    *pardon the blatant plagiarism. I copied and pasted the description from CpanelAPP*

[​IMG]
    Cpanel XP 2005 is modular, you can add links to the menu.
    As you can see (2) I have added the links to Firefox and Thunderbird to the menu.
    And also, you can add your own tooltips.
    These items doesn't necessarily have to be tucked away at the bottom, you can drag it up in the backend to bring it to the top, to the center, above the PHPBB mod (1) and to whatever position you desire, its flexible. PHPBB Mod explained below

[​IMG]
    Display latest threads from your PHPBB. You can specify how many threads to fetch.

[​IMG]
    Log activities on Cpanel XP and receive notifications.
    I have personally used this to nab evildoers when they added several POPmail accounts on the Cpanel XP demo on this site.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Feeling very multilingual? Or you might think that our English language file is too English or to americanized? Now you and your resellers can edit the language files via the Translation Console. The example shown is the screenshot while Im happily editing my korean language file.

[​IMG]
    Whos Online mod will show you how many of your customers are also on cpanel.

[​IMG]
    Theme Manager for mass migration.

3. Roy@ENHOST

[​IMG]
    Added X2 to the list of themes.

[​IMG]
    I was able to use a reseller account to fully customize the skin.
    As you can see, I have customized the skin to look like its part of phpbb.com
    Neat isn't it? Its the dream of every reseller to be able to do customization at this level.

[​IMG]
    Root & Resellers can add their own PHP pages now.
    In this example, I have coded a highly sophisticated echo and forloop commands. :D

[​IMG]
    Gpanel. Turned out to be very different from the first preview.
    It loads like a dream, only 20KB if customer disable tooltips which means its compatible with 14.4 kbps modems. :D

[​IMG]
    List of stock themes and reseller's custom themes on Gpanel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    New Login screens. Nice arent they?
    The top is the one that you install on your site for your custoemrs to login.
    The one below is the server wide (global) login screen.
    You can try it now : http://cpanelskindepot.com/cpanel/
    click on cancel when you are greeted with the password prompt.

[​IMG]
    Themes Manager where you upload, create, edit and delete your own themes.
    [available to root and resellers]
    Ignore the thumbnails, they are obviously inaccurate.

#3 Roy@ENHOST, Jul 6, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2005
  4. richy

richy Well-Known Member

Very nice - one thing worries me though. You state that resellers are allowed to add their own PHP code, but the cPanel engine runs as "root" doesn't it - that means Resellers would be able to run PHP code as root ("system('passwd haha');" anyone?). What protection is there from this sort of thing?

5. Roy@ENHOST

That is a very good question!
    I had requests from customers for this feature since God knows when but I held back until recently.

I originally thought of using reg expression to catch malicious functions such as system,exec,fopen, etc but I brushed it aside coz its not secure enough.

There is an approval system where root has to approve every PHP page creation and modification. There is also a log so that root can check up the codes created by resellers.

Anyway Cpanel executes 'almost as root' , its not as powerful as real root.

#5 Roy@ENHOST, Jul 6, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2005
  6. drupal

drupal Active Member

WOW!!! Truely cool! I'll have to play a bit with it. I know you have the demo, but is there a trial license? That way I can have some of our clients provide feedback before full purchase?

7. Roy@ENHOST

No no.....its not on sale now. You can point your clients to the demo for the time being.
    I can think about the trial version. :cool:

Anyway if anyone has a better solution than the PHP approval system, please tell me.
    I know that some resellers can get very pissed even if they have to wait few hrs for approval.
    The best way of course is to make the PHP script execute as the user himself.

8. richy

richy Well-Known Member

How well does it work in a multi-server environment? Would we have to make the same changes to each server or could we just press a button to "Propagate this change to other servers in cluster" (for example)?

9. Roy@ENHOST

We dont have the magic button yet as we dont have many requests for it surprisingly.
    I suppose a simple shell script can accomplish that task. Cron that script and you will not even need a button. LOL.

10. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I'm afraid that I don't have any constructive criticism to make, but did want to say that this looks like a very exciting and innovoative step in theme design - it looks very pretty too ;). - something that the default skins could learn a great deal from. Excellent work :)

11. fusioncroc

fusioncroc Well-Known Member

Wow , That's outstanding.
    Tell me when it's 100% done and i'll probarly buy it :cool: