The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi, I'm new and looking to buy.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JayBrain, Dec 7, 2004.

1. JayBrain

JayBrain Registered

I'm looking at buying a new server, and I want to have some kind of automated control panel. I've tested out a Plesk control pannel, and I'm not too impressed with it. I have seen many webhosts use cpanel and I'm interested in purchasing it. I'm currently running a windows 2003 server with IIS, but I don't think that's what I want to continue using. I need somthing that can monitor bandwidth, host multiple sites from one IP, be a mail server (pop & smtp), and help me out with several aministrative processes. I think cpanel is what I'm looking for, but I need to look more into this.

I curretnly only host about 20 sites on my windows server, and each site had to be manually set up and configured by me. Will cpanel assist in this process?

anyways.. I guess I better read up a bit more on this... let me know if I'm going to right way on this.

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Sounds like Cpanel/WHM is what you're looking for. It's basically a system admin interface to make the more common tasks easier.

You will have to get a new server to use it though for 2 reasons. First, it doesn't work on a windows server. Second, cpanel is practically a part of the OS. It's always best to start with a fresh OS install then install cpanel, then set up accounts.

3. JayBrain

JayBrain Registered

Yes, I plan on buying a new server, and I think I need Linux to run cpanel don't I?

Is there any built in billing features?

4. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

You can see which OS's they support on the front page.
    http://cpanel.net/

No built in billing systems, but there are many different ones designed to work with cpanel.

5. linux-image

linux-image Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  6. hostmedic

hostmedic Well-Known Member

Washington Court House, Ohio, United States
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Suggestion:

I love Cpanel.

I also offer our clients a few other options,,,

Ensim (don't ask my opinion --- its not good for those who have sensitity issues)
    Plesk (on windows)

I also used to offer Helm --- but refuse to offer this ... Not worth a dime in my opinion...

In any event ---

My suggestion is first to get a trial server:

I have done a little poking around:

1. Ev1 has a few plans...
    2. Nocster starts at only $60
    3. Enter The Matrix ...
    4. The Planet

My pick would be the nocster one --- just because of cost --- try it out --- if you like it then get the best deal possible from any of the providers above.

Note --- Nocster and The Planet will provide some basic support --- EV1 is hands off
    EV1 has spent money to cover their clients from the SCO lawsuits against linux users... but thats not important I dont think...

Also - look towards Fast Server Management to help you get the box locked down. They charge only $30 to do it... and they can help you move sites if needed...

Speaking of that --- CPanel has a great utility to copy and move sites from a Plesk Box !

** One last note **

If you have sites using ASP, ASP.Net --- they might not work in Linux / Cpanel.

Hope this helps you out. :rolleyes:

:)

7. JayBrain

JayBrain Registered

Thanks for all the replies. I am seriously considering cPanel, and an automated billing script as listed above.

And yes, I'm going to run a trial with one of those service providors listed as well. I do not want to be locked into a lease with one of those servers though, just a one month trial for testing, before I purchase my new server.

Any recommendations on an OS?

8. hostmedic

hostmedic Well-Known Member

Washington Court House, Ohio, United States
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    RedHat

Jay ---

I would suggest Redhat Enterprise ---

Nocster - I believe is the cheapest alternative to those that I listed before ---
    I do some colo with them - and they are very responsive...

Call each of these provides and tell them you want to test their service for a month first...
    sometimes they will give you the month for free

I have gotten it from most providers just by asking --- EV1 however never ever ever gives away the farm... but the $1.00 setup is nice

if you have questions once you get started - post them into the forum -
    Also - check out www.webhostgear.com - its a great website... offers a ton of how to's and such for cpanel, redhat, and other linux flavors

:)