The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hi im new

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by biatche, Sep 28, 2001.

1. biatche

biatche Registered

Hi. Is Cpanel4 free? or must it come with Akopia Interchange?
    What\'s layer 1, layer 2?
    Why doesn\'t this site have any documentation?

All that I want to do is build a virtual webserver with redhat 7.0 + apache + basics + cpanel

How can I do this?

2. Dahlia

Dahlia Active Member

unfortunately cpanel is not free and i\'m not completely sure if Interchange HAS to be installed with it. you can find a list of distributers on the cpanel main website: http://www.cpanel.net
    you\'ll need to visit the distributers websites for pricing details and the availabilty of using cpanel inside their noc(some providers will give you cpanel free if you house your server with them) or outside (i think this would need more communication with the distributer to get things setup for you).

Layer1 provides links to the current program/plugin zips that you can download to your server, unzip and install. Layer2 displays all the latest cpanel builds you can download to your server, this is used so that you can downgrade your cpanel version if you need to (sometimes the latest build might cause problems and a quick fix while the problems are being worked on is to downgrade to the second latest build.), it also lets you know when there is a new build out.

i think there isn\'t much documentation because the programmers are working on the new version \'NocSoft\' and will probably be focusing on making that site have greater documentation. i dont think the cpanel site has been up for very long, i do think it was finally put up so that we all could discuss and get latest info on its development and bug fixes.

if i am wrong with any of this information, someone feel free to correct me. ;)

[Edited on 9/29/01 by Dahlia]