The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hide raw server IP from public?

Discussion in 'Security' started by mobbdeep, May 23, 2015.

1. mobbdeep

mobbdeep Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

So I just setup cPanel on my VPS today. I noticed whenever I load a website that is hosted on my server, down at the bottom left corner in Chrome - it will say "Waiting for 192.168.0.1" and I don't want it to show that as it could be a potential security risk to those who shouldn't have my server IP address.

How can this be done?

Also, how do I allow users to import SQL files that consist of the CREATE query because when they do, it says they need super privileges.

Thank you!

2. LostNerd

LostNerd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    192.168.0.1 is most likely to be your gateway at home and nothing to do with your server. All IP addresses in the 192.168.*.* range are reserved for Local Area Networks only. The only other reason it would show that is if you're trying to include that IP in the web pages which is unlikely.

In regards to the SQL queries, try logging in to PHPMyAdmin via WHM. You should be logged in as root which will have any and all required permissions.

#2 LostNerd, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You can't hide the IP address of your server. For instance, a domain name resolves to an IP address so a simple ping command will always show the IP address.

Please ensure you open separate threads for each individual question.

Thank you.