The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hide the permanent "username" email account. It is useless and misleading!

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by electric, Jun 10, 2005.

1. electric

electric Well-Known Member

#1 electric, Jun 10, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  2. myusername

myusername Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    There is already a bug in there about his, from a loooog time ago. Did you search for default address in bugzilla?

http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=1764

I'd say vote on that one since it is lower on the list and acovers more issues regarding the same thing.

3. electric

No, I didn't search for "default address", because that's not what it is.

There is no default address. The address that is created by cpanel (the one I want them to hide/remove) is NOT USABLE.

It can't be used to send email from outside the server.

ie: The email address that is auto created is "username". This is different then "username@domain.com".

Anyway.. I hope that they add this feature. If they want to combine the two bug tickets together then that's fine.

4. myusername

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    You are referring to the default address.

If you want it removed I suggest you vote on the bug I mentioned.

5. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just to qualify things here....

The default address is the catchall address which you can change to anything you want.

The main Box is called username it's full email address is username@servername. It is definitely not recommended that you (or hosting clients) ever use the full email address because it can't be deleted or easily :failed: or easily :blackholed:. So if spammers get hold of it they'll fill your server space (assuming client stops collecting email from there). The full email address can be used if the servername has an mx record (which is how I setup my servers).

I find the main box incredibly useful and it's the ONLY account accessed by webmail with control panel login. If you know how to use it, it's great.

The main box should not be confused with username@domainname which is a box that would need to be created to be used - as it's not there unless setup by client.

Certainly, I think, 99% of cPanel Hosts are confused by the cPanel email setup - and it could do with a bit more explanation.

6. myusername

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Now I see what you are saying. Yes, default address can be setup as a catch all.

The main account was specifically placed there to be THE catch all address from my understanding of it.

Otherwise it is pretty much worthless and confising not only to cpanel hosts, but more so to the end user.

Why do you find it so usefull rsfreddo?

All it does is fill with crap unless you :fail: the default address. Other than that whats the point of haveing uglyusername@somesite.com?

7. rs-freddo

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As I previously pointed out
    uglyusername@somesite.com
    is not the main email box, it's full email address is
    uglyusername@servername.com

I find it useful because:
    1) it uses the same username and password as cpanel login - I already have enough username/passwords on file without adding more.
    2) webmail is acessible from the control panel - i don't use webmail but many of my clients do and having to use a seperate url :)2096) confuses them.
    3) You can make :fail: the default address (turn catchall system off) and then link in any email addresses you want to use as forwards to the main email box
    support@mydomain.com -> username@servername.com
    info@mydomain.com -> username@servername.com
    4) Because my clients don't know the full email address of the Main box they can't place that email address on their webpage and get that box spammed (like they do with any other email box they setup). So it remains the only box on the server that's spam free.
    5) Sometimes email gets sent to the main box by software, especially if you use phpsuexec. Returned mail without a Reply-To: address (generated by software usually).

My only problem with the main box is that the "Outlook auto config" Link ALWAYS configures an unuseable account in Outlook. This is because it sets up the From: and Reply-To: addresses as "username" instead of guessing an email address such as "admin@domainname.com". You cannot send mail with an invalid From: address. So my clients if they use the "auto config" have a to manually FIX the Outlook Account setup.

#7 rs-freddo, Jun 10, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  8. electric

All I know is that our clients are constantly confused by this "built in" email address, and it is our #1 problem for web hosting support.

These customers think that an email address is already created for them, and so they complain when it does not work.

This makes our company look bad, and it wastes our time and their time to "fix" the problem.

I would like to see the ability for admin to hide this email address from the cpanel view and make it reject all email so it doesn't fill up with junk.

9. rs-freddo

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Funny thing is most of our clients are confused once they start creating pop boxes and they don't use the built in main one. But then we recommend people use it and go to a lot of trouble to make sure the instructions are easy to follow.

10. Wallaby

Wallaby Well-Known Member

I'll second that -- all we need is a server-wide option to disable these addresses if we wish. Please! Pretty please?!

11. mfirth

mfirth Registered

Is it possible to forward e-mail that this account receives to a 'real' account, or vice versa?

i.e. if I create a forward to forward 'username@domain' to 'username' (or to 'username@servername') will this use put it in the 'main account' mailbox?

I should add that I'm just a user of cPanel, not a site administrator

I've tried it, and it seems to have worked using the 'username@servername' form, but will anything bad potentially happen?

Thanks

Michael

#11 mfirth, Jun 21, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  12. myusername

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    You can go to /etc/valiases then touch server.host.com then pico it and setup a forward in that file e.g. user: somereaaddress@domain.com

But can be problematic having a hostname valias.

13. rs-freddo

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Nothing bad will happen I have been using the main account this way for about a year. I certainly don't recommend messing with valiases. Why do things the hard way when the easy way is so much.... easier... !