Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

High CPU loading & troubleshooting.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SuperBaby, Dec 21, 2004.

1. SuperBaby

SuperBaby Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Twitter:
    My server's CPU has been overloaded at 1.0~2.0 for more than 24 hours. I created an outage report and got a few "replies". Unfortunately none of them is useful. I am disappointed that the ISP tech did not look into the problem and simply throw back the ball to me.

I hope someone can help me out. It seems that the overloading is caused by some Perl scripts processing the domain log files. I know rebooting the server might solve the problem for a while but the high loading will come back again as usual.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. kmpanilla

kmpanilla Member

figure it out yet? I just had a similar problem and ended up killing the 'smb' processes since they were hogging CPU for the past day.

-k

3. HostMerit

HostMerit Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You both need help with server security. Contact me at kris@hostmerit.com, I can help you out - Those are most likely bots / shell processes started via PHP, for now, type ps -u nobody at shell, and anything that isnt httpd, kill -9 the process, then restart httpd. Also suggest mod_security, I can give you a link for that also with a good conf set.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kmpanilla

kmpanilla Member

Appears it's the phpBB worm (Perl.Santy) that one of my users did not patch. Patching his copy manually fixed the problem.. What fun.