The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High CPU loading & troubleshooting.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SuperBaby, Dec 21, 2004.

1. SuperBaby

SuperBaby Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Twitter:
    My server's CPU has been overloaded at 1.0~2.0 for more than 24 hours. I created an outage report and got a few "replies". Unfortunately none of them is useful. I am disappointed that the ISP tech did not look into the problem and simply throw back the ball to me.

I hope someone can help me out. It seems that the overloading is caused by some Perl scripts processing the domain log files. I know rebooting the server might solve the problem for a while but the high loading will come back again as usual.

2. kmpanilla

kmpanilla Member

figure it out yet? I just had a similar problem and ended up killing the 'smb' processes since they were hogging CPU for the past day.

-k

3. HostMerit

HostMerit Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You both need help with server security. Contact me at kris@hostmerit.com, I can help you out - Those are most likely bots / shell processes started via PHP, for now, type ps -u nobody at shell, and anything that isnt httpd, kill -9 the process, then restart httpd. Also suggest mod_security, I can give you a link for that also with a good conf set.

4. kmpanilla

kmpanilla Member

Appears it's the phpBB worm (Perl.Santy) that one of my users did not patch. Patching his copy manually fixed the problem.. What fun.