Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

High IMAP bandwith usage

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by nick122147, Aug 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nick122147

nick122147 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    One user's mail account has used 300+GB data in a month. The mailbox is 5GB, they don't receive that many emails. What can cause this excessive usage and how can I stop it, other than suspend the account?

2. webhostuk

webhostuk Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Twitter:
    Is php mail function on the server? also are you sure all this data is used by emails only?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. nick122147

nick122147 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have not been able to stop the excessive IMAP bandwidth behaviour.

The option to suspend the account doesn't work for IMAP. It only suspends the hosting on the account, and not the IMAP traffic. WHM shows the account as "Suspended", however IMAP is not suspended and eats traffic. How can I also suspend IMAP traffic once over quota?

The single mail account has used 500+GB of traffic this month (1 user on a 5GB mailbox).

5. smurf

smurf Member

We've experienced the same issue with IMAP consuming a relatively large amount of bandwidth. For example, 1 user with a 500MB mailbox consumed 50GB in a month, with 10GB in one day alone.

We ran the grep command below @cPanelMichael suggested in the linked post to investigate.

Code:
    grep domain.com /var/log/maillog
    The logs show a large number of UID SEARCH commands which, in our case, are the main cause of the usage. For example, the below single UID SEARCH command resulted in 367MB of data sent to the user.

Code:
    Connection closed (UID SEARCH finished 10.661 secs ago) in=1410, out=367464470, bytes=1410/367464470

These quickly add up. The logs show this user issued 113 UID SEARCH commands in a single day, which explains the 10GB in a day bandwidth.

I'm guessing this is a body search from a device or app which does not store email. E.g. iPhone.

@cPanelMichael We're not running Solr on this server. Would installing it help mitigate this?

Clearly there is a waste of resources and I'm certain the user would prefer to not use all their cellular data searching email.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The bandwidth limiting feature only limits access to the account over Apache. This is documented at:

Account Suspension Versus Bandwidth Limiting and Account Termination - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Here's the quote:

You'd need to either suspend the account using "WHM >> Manage Account Suspension" or use the Email::suspend_login function to suspend an email user's ability to log in to, send mail from, and read their account.

Yes, while it's not guaranteed to reduce bandwidth usage from IMAP searches, it's worth a shot to see if enabling Solr via "WHM >> Manage Plugins" helps.

Thank you.

7. nick122147

nick122147 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Solr is already installed on my server with the high bandwidth usage.

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The reference to Solr was a response to the other poster. Were you able to review the linked threads within the thread I referenced earlier?

IMAP consuming so much bandwidth

Thank you.

9. nick122147

nick122147 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, I have identified the account and IP address that use the bandwidth. However I don't know how to solve the issue, other than to deactivate the account.

The user is running outlook as well as using an iPhone on this account. If the issue is caused by some incompatibility issue with outlook or iPhone and cPanel/IMAP then I would think there should be many people affected by this.

10. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Feel free to open a support ticket using the link in my signature if you'd like us to take a closer look to rule out any issues with the mail server configuration.

Thank you.

11. OpdeFoto

OpdeFoto Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just had the same problem when looking at the bandwidth logs. Tried a lot, but as it seems now it's fixed by login in to the WHM and repair the mailbox permissions.
    After this repair (there where some mailboxes that needed a repair) my imap traffic is back to normal