The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High load after upgrading from 5.2.17 to 5.3

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by Legin76, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Legin76

Legin76 Well-Known Member

I've tried to upgrade to the latest versions of php a couple of times but every time I do I get much much higher loads.

The server load is usually around 0.25 to 0.5 but when I upgrade php to 5.3 (dso). I've tried a couple versions the load averages around 1.5 to 2.5 and gets lots of spikes that slow things down to the level that I get complaints. With 5.2.17 (dso) I get virtually no load issues at all. Does anyone have any ideas what might casue this?

The server details are below

Apache 2.2.22

WHM 11.32.3 (build 21)
    REDHAT Enterprise 5.8 i686 standard

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Have you checked the memory usage that it is showing when you are running PHP 5.3 versus PHP 5.2? I just wondered what memory usage it might be having.

3. Legin76

The memory usage appears to go up a little but not a lot. I can barly tell that it increased looking at munin.

4. srpurdy

srpurdy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That seems strange. I would look at the error logs and see if php is missing a library or something that's pounding the log files thus creating a lot of load. I can't think of much else right now at this morning lol. :)

5. Legin76

The only thing I can find that leaps out at me is below and after or during easy apachy install but it happend when I reverted back to 5.2.17 too. I'm wondering if there is a module that I have turned on that has a much higher load usage on 5.3.

PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613/apc.so' - /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613/apc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0
    PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613/apc.so' - /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613/apc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

6. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Those errors mean APC, which would have been custom added as it isn't part of EasyApache, wasn't re-added after recompiling to update the PHP version. APC wouldn't even be working if the apc.so isn't in the extension directory.