The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High ping on external sites.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mobboss, Aug 20, 2014.

1. mobboss

mobboss Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Does anyone have any idea what would cause high ping when our server is plugged into the network? I am trying to ping our VOIP providers server because we are having call quality issues and I get under 100 ms when the server is unplugged and 600-900 ms when it is plugged in.

I ifconfig and see eth0:cp1 going to an IP address I have no idea about. May have been an old IP so I didn't know if the server was trying to route to that IP as well and thats causing an issue or what.

I appreciate any help in advance.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You may want to consult with your data center or network provider to determine what might be causing this. I can't think of anything related to the cPanel/WHM software that would result in this behavior.

Thank you.

3. mobboss

mobboss Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It just seems strange that when you unplug the server from the router the ping is normal I thought it may be the network card going bad. I have replaced cables and nothing seems to fix it.

4. mobboss

mobboss Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I think I have narrowed the problem down to SQL, I restarted each service while ping test was running and they all stay in the 500-600 range and then when I restarted SQL it dropped down to normal range.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry hit enter to quick. Any idea how to address this issue and get it fixed?

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm not sure how MySQL alone would result in worse latency, but you are welcome to review our "Optimization" forum if you want to run the MySQL tuner and make a thread with the results to get user-feedback.

Thank you.