The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High server load at some times

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cafrale, Aug 27, 2003.

1. cafrale

cafrale Member

Hi, experts.

I have a P4 2Ghz 1 Gb ram server, it hosts 6 sites now. All the sites absolutelly light, there is nothing heavy on it.

Even with so few things on it (and even BEFORE the sites were there) the server experiences very high load at some times.

Please, take a look at this MRTG graph:

http://tempestade.bluehosting.com.br/mrtg/load.html

It's a cpanel server that i *think* i have optimized. Does anyone know what may be happening ?

Is it normal to cpanel generate this kind of peak loads ? Is apache bad tuned ?

Thanks for any light you can throw on me.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You know, those load counter average things are not always accurate. I once had a load of 68! If it was really that high my cpu would have been on fire, and my board melting, and my server would be attempting a orbital reentry. So, just cause it says its high, does not mean it really is. Also, if this is only once per day, is it performing a backup or syncronizing or transfering or something like that?

3. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

From the looks of the MRTG the high loads are happening at approx. the same time every day. I would have to assume this is cPanel updating or a cron'd script on your machine.

4. Przemek

Przemek Active Member

Are you sure that values showed in MRTG stats aren't multiplication of x100 of real load average. Maybe the load was 0.68 and not 68.00

5. EWD

EWD Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

That is correct.
    I also see high loads at around 4am which is when CPanel does it's nightly things.

Fist time I installed mrtg and was looking at the max server loads as high as 112, Iwas going crazy trying to find out what was going on and was releived to find out MRTG shows the values x100 ;)

6. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yeah, I figured as much. It is not possible to have a server load at 68! Or 112 like EWD was saying. I just figured that sometimes its accurate, and sometimes its not.

7. BaDBoY_2000

BaDBoY_2000 Active Member

hmmm it is..

i had a client that used php nuke, (very vulnerable cms) someone decided to attack it with 1800 proxies!.... hitting /modules.php?name=Submit_News ... and yes this did some damage server load got up to 190+ and just froze, it would take 25 mins to login to SSH/WHM and suspend the buttmunch that was being attacked!... so yes it is physically possible for the load to be that high, i was logged into ssh watching the load via 'top' and watched it go from 0.12 to 156.3 in a matter of minutes.. (i think apache/php/phpnuke or someone needs to fix this very nasty vulnerability.) if someone replys "ban the ips with htaccess" i will go crazy, u try ban 1800 ip's from a raw access log! hahahaha

8. EWD

EWD Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Re: hmmm it is..

oh come on...just type really fast .... :D :D :D :p

9. pugleon

pugleon Guest

Wheres data from star trek when ya need em...

I have a weird one at the moment, at about 2am in the morning, my phpnuke board freezes up, as does ssh access, and 2087 port whm access. Other mysql databases work fine.... But the only thing to get the board backup is a reboot of the server... Checked what logs i know of and no error msgs... Only a recent thing too, and always at the same time...

10. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sounds like an issue with php nuke or a database consistency problem that kind of puts it into a loop or something, inevitably eating resources.

Have you tried to do a repair on the database?

11. pugleon

pugleon Guest

Not the entire database, truth be told I'm far from a mysql expert. Wing it most of the time as alot of it's just common sence.

Reciently (near or on the time problems started occuring) I had to repair bbsearch_wordlist in this database as it had locked up... When I repaired it, it found two missing lines.

I also had to change the ownership and password of that file back to mysql.

I have a feeling as you do this is a mysql issue, however there is also a problem at the moment which is causing imap to be restarted every 20 mins... One of the two is the problem. But which one...:confused:

I would be very interested if you could tell me how to run a repair on the entire nuke database just to rule that out.

Same thing happens every night at 2pm. This isnt a busy server, and at this time of night no one is online. And also this problem is only reciently happining (last few nights)

Freebsd 5.x stable box running whm stable with the latest phpnuke board cpanel offers as an addon script...

#11 pugleon, Feb 25, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2004
  12. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am assuming that you have gone through cpanel and done a repair of the database? You can also do it via whm if you would prefer.

One thing that may help is isntalling/downgrading to mysql 3 and then reinstalling mysql 4. It tells you a command that you need to run in order for the mysql table privleges to be compatible with version 4.

Try running that command, I dont know if off hand, but it tells you during the install which command to run.

also, the sql privleges should be mysql:mysql , and if not that may be part of your problem.

You could also try removing the add on module, removing the sql tables (have a backup first just in case) and then putting them back in.
    You may not even need the data if its not that important.

13. pugleon

pugleon Guest

I fixed the crashing forum... But now init.d sym folder link is gone, and /etc/proftpd.conf is too...

Only thing I can think of is the fixmysqlbsd script I ran removed the standalone element of proftpd as when I added a backup of the script i have back again and created a new sym link it still wont start.

Really the worst outcome too as this is primarily an ftp server. The forum works, and the mysql appears ok *kinda*. Can't find any error in the logs, so I don't think it's starting to begin with from /etc/proftpd.conf folder.

Think it has started proftpd from another conf file in usr/local... But how to get it running from the etc folder is beyond my tallents. I'm used to other platforms of linux...

Help! lol

14. pugleon

pugleon Guest

Also thinking perhaps mysql is running as with the server mod and that before i ran the fixmysqlbsd script it might have only been running client...

Maybe that client mod is all cpanel normally runs with. Just grabbing at straws here. What a nightmare