The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High server load daily (same time)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by petemart, Dec 15, 2007.

1. petemart

petemart Registered

Hey all,

I'm running a Cpanel VPS CENTOS Enterprise 4.5 i686 on virtuozzo. I've got 512 Mb base ram, burstable to 1024 Mb. I've monitored memory use for the last couple of months and the system never raises a sweat.

In the last few weeks I've been noticing that server loads go up after 5:00 pm server time, which is set to Australian Eastern Daylight Savings time. In fact I've got two VPS's and both of them go up at exactly the same time.

There are no root or user crons scheduled at this time. One of the server goes up to about 0.80 is is running fine. The other one goes up to 5.0 or above and becomes very unresponsive. The other night it cracked 20.0 and was inaccessible.

I've logged support tickets via my host but to no avail. They have looked at it but no answer has been found.

I've been spending a few nights watching 'top' and last night I noticed syslogd was always popping up when loads went up. At the time loads were above 5.50, so I killed the syslog process and loads went down. I haven't confirmed that syslog was the issue, but I"ll monitor tonight to see how things go.

Question: Has anyone heard of syslog causing high loads and if so where would I start troubleshooting? Obviously I can't (shouldn't) leave syslog off for too long, only long enough to verify whether it is the culprit or not.

Any help gratefully accepted !

Pete M

2. pjman

pjman Well-Known Member

Timed stuff been there...

When timed stuff like that happens, it always usually some backup issue or cron.

1. Check the crons on the server.

2. Check Apache process numbers- to rule out that it's caused outside the server.

3. Most important, if you have backups running, have the host trace it and make sure some wacked out rule wasn't set.

I had the same thing 3 years ago, it bugged me for a month. It was that the host actually set the server to simultaneously backup on 12 different servers all reading the server top to bottom at the same time.