The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High server load from que.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by cmedik, Aug 27, 2014.

1. cmedik

cmedik Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Ok Stats of server.

Quad core Xeon 2.1G
    8 gig memory 2TB hard drive space raided.
    WHM 11.44.1
    Centos 6.5
    Use mail scanner and CSF and spam assassin etc. all updated.
    I have mail scanner child count set to 10.
    Have purchased CSF server package when I did this a year ago.

The issue is through out the day I average about .76 to 1.25 average load. I know this comes from all the pop and imap accounts I got, but server responds good. Problem is I host about 10 accounts some with websites and some with email only.

Problem is when my que hits about 25+ higher incoming or outgoing cause they email a lot, my server load gets to about 4-12% with causes serious lag on website and emails etc. Most of the emails are legit no one is hacked cause I watch all the logs and they are limited on what they can send every hour and they know this.

Today looking at que I had 75 and shot server to 12% only took about 4 minutes for all of it to clear, cause more were coming and going, but that's 4 minute lag to much. This only happens random when email is coming and going.

I see most stay logged on throughout the day checking mail. Plus a lot leave them on at night. I have most of them set to 15-30 min for checking email.

Any suggestion to tweak server better to make lag times not so high. Been thinking about cloud Linux. But seen the good and bad. Or any other ideas I should look at. Thanks for any info in this.

2. cmedik

cmedik Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I appreciate that and I am not even close to that, they average list is maybe 75. But that is random. It just spikes at certain times. So what your saying is there is no way around this unless I get another server?

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could consult with a qualified system administrator to have them review your server to see if any other options were available. However, as far as general advice, mail throttling or a server with more CPU power are typically the most common recommendations.

Thank you.

4. cmedik

cmedik Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    thanks for information I will consult with ISP.