Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High server load

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by gullableJoe, Aug 29, 2017.

1. gullableJoe

gullableJoe Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    From time to time one of the servers gets a very high server load (200+).
    It definitely happens when the backups run, if I change the backup time to 4 am then the server load increases then, if the backups are taken at 1am the server load increases then (sometimes over 200+), the other times can be randomly throughout the day.
    The server has 10 cores and 50GB of RAM and it is on a VPS
    In the configuration here are the settings:
    Start Servers: 5
    Minimum Spare Servers: 10
    Maximum Spare Servers: 10
    Server Limit (Maximum: 20,000): 4096
    Max Request Workers: 2048
    Max Connections Per Child:10000
    Keep-Alive: On: 30
    Max Keep-Alive Requests: 500
    Timeout: 300

I have noticed that if I reset Apache just as the server load starts to increase drastically then the server load will return to normal (between 4-6), but if I don't reset Apache then it could take 15/20 minutes before the load returns to normal. When I have queried this with the server company they said I need to upgrade to a dedicated server.
    I have noticed quiet a few search engine bots indexing websites at that time, but I have set a crawl delay of 20 seconds on each site now. There are about 40 websites on the server, but none would have a massive amount of traffic on them.

I am unsure how to proceed or if changing the configuration settings will help.

2. Eminds

Eminds Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

In addition to the link referenced in the previous post, you can browse to the "Stats and Logs" tab in "WHM Home » Server Configuration » Tweak Settings" and modify the following option:

"Extra CPUs for server load"

Per it's description:

The load average above the number of CPUs at which cpuwatch, cpanellogd, backups, and CPU stats consider the system to be in a critical load state. For example, a server with 4 physical CPUs and a value of 2 in this field will be considered “critical” in these cases once the load reaches 6.

Additionally, you may want to adjust the following option in "WHM >> Tweak Settings" under the "System" tab:

I/O priority level at which nightly backups are run

Per it's description:

You must compile ionice with your kernel to use this option. ionice manages I/O scheduling for processes on your system. Specifying a lower value for this option gives the process a higher priority. This option can accept integer values between 0 and 7.

Thank you.