The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Directory Prefix bug?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bilsalak, Jan 11, 2006.

1. bilsalak

bilsalak Member

Maybe it's just me but I've recently had a problem and noticed that a few other folks have the same issue yet solve it a different way without recognizing that the solution is built into WHM yet is not functional. (oxy-moronic statement?)

My config is to use "/home" as the default location for virtual hosting accounts and of course Home Directory Prefix is set as "home".

Now I have just added a second hard drive for local backup. The guys at the data center mounted this drive as /home2. Not the friendliest naming convention for it's intended use but no big deal EXCEPT now all new accounts get created in /home2.

Whoops! my fault, I can fix this very easily by just disabling the Home Directory Prefix right? Of course, I can. It even says so right on the WHM GUI for this feature. Just leave it blank and it's disabled. EXCEPT now account creation fails. It appears that that value must be set therefore bypassing the ability to solve my problem without remounting the second hard drive as "backup" or something without the word "home" somewhere in the name.

As I mentioned it appears others have the same problem of not wanting to have accounts automatically created in their /home2 directory yet the message board replies never mention disabling the Home Directory Prefix option. Am I missing something? Can anybody else get their account creation process to work with this feature disabled?

thanks,
    Bill

2. Rooter

Rooter Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator