The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/home/user/mail directory vanished *poof*

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by malcolmb, Jun 27, 2007.

1. malcolmb

malcolmb Registered

I had a user today that tried to check their mail and it failed. I poked around for a bit and found some "No Such User Here" entries in /var/log/exim_reject for users that were there yesterday. I went to check the mail directory for that domain and it was gone. I went to the backup from the day before and it was there so I restored it and now the mail is working but I still have no idea how that directory vanished. Any ideas? Does Cpanel log actions such as modifications of user accounts or mailboxes?

Malcolm

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't know whether Cpanel logs or not. But either the accountholder went in and deleted the email account, or they logged in via FTP and deleted it. Youd' be surprised how many customers don't know that the directory that they log into via FTP is NOT their web directory - I have had numerous customers who went and deleted the 'mail' folder from within FTP (along with every other folder, rendering their account useless) all because they thought they were in the web root and were deleting web content.

Now, if that happened, it'd be interesting to know if your customer would fess up to it. Most don't :)

Mike

3. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yes but the logs do not lie (if you can find it)
    had a customer delete one of their accounts from WHM and insisted that the tech that did it fess up and take reasonability.
    showed the cpanel access log with their IP. not a peep from them after that.

so no they do not fess up :)